Software WAP?

Old June 11th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul

Default Software WAP?

Hi All,
I've had a 4 machine wired network for a while (all going to one wired hub
and one of the connections off the hub is a wired Cable Router going to the
cable modem), anyway I have recently got a Wifi PCI card for one of my PC's and
don't really want to fork out for a hardware WAP for the rare few times people
bring WiFi laptops and hence I thought it would relatively easy to get my single
PC with a WiFI PCI card in, to pretend to be a WAP, boy was I wrong. I really
don't want to fork out another 45 for a hardware WAP when logically there's no
reason my PC with the WiFi card can't do it (security issues aside). Google
hasn't been my friend and hence I'm hoping knowledgable people here can point me
in the right direction.

Ya
Old June 11th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:04:31 GMT, Paul
wrote:

don't really want to fork out for a hardware WAP for the rare few times p=
eople=20
bring WiFi laptops and hence I thought it would relatively easy to get my=
single=20
PC with a WiFI PCI card in, to pretend to be a WAP

it may be more difficult to get it to act as a WAP however all you
need to do is set it up in Ad-hoc mode (peer to peer) then the laptops
can connect to the wireless card peer to peer and you can use Windows
Inernet Connection Sharing to share the internet coming in on the
wired ethernet via the wifi card.

with a few more terms there google will be your friend, try
"ad-hoc ICS wifi sharing internet"

for example:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fac8708e-3762-4e78-b372-8404eeb7f41a&DisplayLang=en

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 11th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Wade

"Paul" wrote in message

. uk...
Hi All,
I've had a 4 machine wired network for a while (all going to one wired

hub
and one of the connections off the hub is a wired Cable Router going to the
cable modem), anyway I have recently got a Wifi PCI card for one of my PC's

and
don't really want to fork out for a hardware WAP for the rare few times

people
bring WiFi laptops and hence I thought it would relatively easy to get my

single
PC with a WiFI PCI card in, to pretend to be a WAP, boy was I wrong. I

really
don't want to fork out another 45 for a hardware WAP when logically

there's no

Compaq used to do a Software WAP. Trouble was they charged more thamn 45
for it :-(
And it only worked with WL100 wireless cards :-(

Now hardware WAPs are so cheap no one bothers....