Setting up a network for first time

Old June 12th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter P

Default Setting up a network for first time

Thanks to the advice received from people here, I'm now almost ready to
start, as soon as my Belkin F5D9012uk router/modem arrives.

At the point where the BT cable enters the house the IT bloke has
gathered together the mass of cables which were sticking out of the
wall and connected them (somehow) inside a small grey cabinet on the
wall. There are now four computer points by this grey box, each
numbered, another where the PC is to go in that room, and three more
elsewhere in the house.

What I assume I do now, once I get the BB connection, is run 4 cables
from the modem/router to the 4 points by the grey box (presumably these
are the inlet points) and then connect any or all of the 4 outlets to a
PC/laptop.

Is this right, please, and what cables do I need to make all the
connections? Also which PC input does the connection from the socket
go into?

Sorry for the naivety, but this is all new to me and I'd really
appreciate some help from you experts if you have a minute or two.
Maybe the instructions with the Belkin will explain it fully, but I
somehow doubt it.

Oh - and we'd also like to use the wireless option for an enabled
laptop.

Many thanks - Peter

Old June 12th 05, 11:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 12 Jun 2005 01:00 -0700, "Peter P" wrote:

Is this right, please,

Yes, that's a pretty standard way to wire up a place...

and what cables do I need to make all the connections?

You should be able to find some low cost RH45 'patch cables' (these can
be anything from 0.5m, 1m, 2m, 3m up to 5,7,10m and priced from under a
pound to several pounds each). I'd suggest a quick look at some online
site, eg www.dabs.com www.ebuyer.com or www.netshop.co.uk

I'm surprised the cables weren't included so you were ready to go once
the internet connection was up...

Also which PC input does the connection from the socket go into?

Look for the network interface card/socket. It will usually have LED
or LEDs alongside it. It should be the only suitable socket to take
an RJ45 patch cable, but some modem cards have one or two sockets a
little smaller, and squarer, so check for an LED! Peter M.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 12th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 12 Jun 2005 11:14, I wrote:

You should be able to find some low cost RH45 'patch cables'

Oooops that's RJ45 ! Teach me to get up early! Peter M.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!!
USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 12th 05, 11:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter P

Thanks for the advice. Patch cables on order from Ebuyer at a tiny
fraction of the PC World price for the same Belkin cables.

Peter

Old June 15th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On 12 Jun 2005 15:25:43 -0700, "Peter P" wrote:

Patch cables on order from Ebuyer at a tiny
fraction of the PC World price for the same Belkin cables.

amazing how much you can save by not having the overheads of a retail
presence or the trucking costs of supplying the stores.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 15th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 15 Jun 2005 15:11, Phil Thompson wrote:

amazing how much you can save by not having the overheads of a retail
presence or the trucking costs of supplying the stores.

Falls apart to some extent (about the trucking costs, and presence/staff)
when a router might be 59.99 on the web, 99.99 in the PC World store, but
you can buy it on the web and collect it from the store... I don't know
what charges apply in lieu of delivery to your door, but seems that the
price difference web/store is partly opportunistic... see shelves with 4
different routers, each one priced at 99.99, compared with 59.99, 69.99,
79.99 and 89.99 if bought online... Just money-grabbing, perhaps ?!?

Some time back, when arranging the purchase of a few thousand pounds worth
of computer gear I compared the discount from Dixons and PC World and the
manager at Dixons clearly wanted the business, offering double the level
of discount. Maybe PC World has larger profit level expectations!

Old June 15th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:51:39 +0100, poster
wrote:

Just money-grabbing, perhaps ?!?

they have to make the extra money to cover the extra costs, sure they
can discount to secure a sale etc but those overheads have to get paid
in the end.

Dixons group manage a return on sales of just under 6% so you can
decide for yourself if this constitutes "money-grabbing".

Phil
Old June 15th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 15 Jun 2005 19:52, Phil Thompson wrote:

Dixons group manage a return on sales of just under 6% so you can
decide for yourself if this constitutes "money-grabbing".

No, but I guess there might be a number of regional managers with a good
expense account, nice car, nice salary and great annual bonus, who goes
into various branches and gives them a grilling about how they will be
improving their sales levels this quarter. Turning the heating down
a notch in every DSG store might push it up to 8% :-) Peter M.