Mains Ethernet

Old June 12th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Mains Ethernet

I'm looking in to extending the range of my home network system,
currently I have a few dead spots where the WiFi doesn't reach
reliably so am thinking of a ' mains ethernet ' system to extend.

http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/Products...epartmentID=57

I feel two plugs would give good flexibility to move my AP point to
wherever needed.

Two things I am unsure about, it shows as requiring Win98SE to XP, I
thought they were OS independent and am intending to use Linux
somewhere in my network.

Also, the security aspect, I know they work on the ring main principle
but aren't my neighbours actually connected to the same circuit.

Geoff Lane

Old June 12th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Geoff Lane wrote re networking over the mains:

I feel two plugs would give good flexibility to move my AP point to
wherever needed.

Two things I am unsure about, it shows as requiring Win98SE to XP, I
thought they were OS independent and am intending to use Linux
somewhere in my network.

What they probably mean is the the USB version needs an operating system
with USB support. I don't know about Linux, but I expect googling
homeplug linux" would help.

Also, the security aspect, I know they work on the ring main principle
but aren't my neighbours actually connected to the same circuit.

I expect that all makes of HomePlug equipment do the same, but the
Devolo HomePlug adaptors require a password to be entered. Lots of
points are discussed in the very helpful Devolo FAQ, and I expect most
are true for all HomePlug devices.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old June 12th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 12 Jun 2005 10:26, Geoff Lane wrote:

Two things I am unsure about, it shows as requiring Win98SE to XP, I
thought they were OS independent and am intending to use Linux
somewhere in my network.

It might be something to do with setting up, where the makers have some s/w
application which is designed to run on Windows at some point since Win 95.
Alternatively they've just copied the description from the USB model and it
really isn't so important. I'd be tempted to send a quick e-mail to ask as
it could be important (and please let us know what response you get, as the
helpfulness and speed of reply would be useful too) From the Acer site, I
saw as contact for tech support.

Also, the security aspect, I know they work on the ring main principle
but aren't my neighbours actually connected to the same circuit.

From the Acer site :

* Up to 14Mbit/s bandwidth over the standart power line
* Up to 300 coverage in wall powerline
* High security through 56bit DES encryption
* HomePlug Powerline specification 1.0.1

With the Acer HomePlug adapters you can transform your in-house power
circuit into anetworking infrastructure, Ideal for anyone wanting to extend
their Internet access or make an internal network without the need of new
cabling. Surf the Internet and share data at up to 14 Mbps within a range
of 200m. Security is offered by activating the DESpro 56bit encryption.

---

Whether you have to have software in the PC to handle the encryption isn't
clear. Again, something to consider when you e-mail, perhaps. Peter M.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 12th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:04:11 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

I feel two plugs would give good flexibility to move my AP point to
wherever needed.

Also, the security aspect, I know they work on the ring main principle
but aren't my neighbours actually connected to the same circuit.

I expect that all makes of HomePlug equipment do the same, but the
Devolo HomePlug adaptors require a password to be entered. Lots of
points are discussed in the very helpful Devolo FAQ, and I expect most
are true for all HomePlug devices.

The link I supplied is for an Acer device, not seen them before
although obviously a well know brand name.

Geoff lane

Old June 12th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:52:18 +0100, poster
wrote:

Two things I am unsure about, it shows as requiring Win98SE to XP, I
thought they were OS independent and am intending to use Linux
somewhere in my network.

I'd be tempted to send a quick e-mail to ask as
it could be important (and please let us know what response you get, as the
helpfulness and speed of reply would be useful too) From the Acer site, I
saw as contact for tech support.

I've got an Acer laptop and got no replies via email when I emailed
them regarding some technical information.

I'll try and see what I get.

Geoff Lane

Old June 12th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:33:18 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I feel two plugs would give good flexibility to move my AP point to
wherever needed.

Also, the security aspect, I know they work on the ring main principle
but aren't my neighbours actually connected to the same circuit.

I expect that all makes of HomePlug equipment do the same, but the
Devolo HomePlug adaptors require a password to be entered. Lots of
points are discussed in the very helpful Devolo FAQ, and I expect most
are true for all HomePlug devices.

The link I supplied is for an Acer device, not seen them before
although obviously a well know brand name.

Sorry, didn't realise the Acer device was called a HomePlug, I thought
you were referring to a different manufacturer.

Geoff Lane

Old June 12th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Red

"poster" wrote in message
. 88...
On 12 Jun 2005 10:26, Geoff Lane wrote:

From the Acer site :

* Up to 14Mbit/s bandwidth over the standart power line

Its a pity they wont do speeds a little faster isn't it? Great idea and very
convenient if they work well.

Red

Old June 12th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 12 Jun 2005 17:42, Geoff Lane wrote:

I expect that all makes of HomePlug equipment do the same, but the
Devolo HomePlug adaptors require a password to be entered. Lots of

Sorry, didn't realise the Acer device was called a HomePlug, I thought
you were referring to a different manufacturer.

FWIW, Geoff, I was assuming it was some other branding name, and perhaps
to a slightly different spec, but from the same manufacturer (perhaps not
even Acer, of course, but somewhere in the Far East quite likely :-) PGM.

Old June 12th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 12 Jun 2005 19:21, "Red" wrote:

* Up to 14Mbit/s bandwidth over the standart power line

Its a pity they wont do speeds a little faster isn't it? Great idea and very
convenient if they work well.

Well, thin, thick Ethernet and half my kit only handles 10 Mbps so 14 is
too fast anyway :-) I still have some hubs with BNC and RJ45 sockets.

Old June 13th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

* Up to 14Mbit/s bandwidth over the standart power line

Its a pity they wont do speeds a little faster isn't it? Great idea and very
convenient if they work well.

And that's not all: expect to get a much lower speed in real life unless
the distance is small. I used mains networking to get up 3 floors, where
the building was too solid to WiFi; the signal is barely sufficient
(another socket on the same floor doesn't work), The mains link drops
down to 2Mb/s. This isn't a serious problem on 512kb/s ADSL.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem