Instant Messengers

Old June 12th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Instant Messengers

I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

I know MSM ships with virtually all PCs but has anyone any comments,
good or bad, about the others. Has anyone used skype? I've viewed the
skype web page and wonder if this is any different to the others.

Geoff Lane

Old June 12th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane
says...
I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

I know MSM ships with virtually all PCs but has anyone any comments,
good or bad, about the others. Has anyone used skype? I've viewed the
skype web page and wonder if this is any different to the others.

Geoff Lane

MSN Messenger "Just Works" with TRillian and GAIM a close second if
people aren't on Messenger.

Skyp is OK but pointless if you're just going to use it for PC to PC.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
Old June 12th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:55:26 +0100, Conor
wrote:

I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

MSN Messenger "Just Works" with TRillian and GAIM a close second if
people aren't on Messenger.

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

Geoff Lane

Old June 12th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane
says...
wrote:

I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

MSN Messenger "Just Works" with TRillian and GAIM a close second if
people aren't on Messenger.

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

Never used it personally but apparently so.

Old June 12th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

wrote:

I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

MSN Messenger "Just Works" with TRillian and GAIM a close second if
people aren't on Messenger.

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

Yes , although it's MS**N**

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old June 13th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

wrote:

I've not dabbled too much with instant messengers but with relatives
dotted over the UK and elsewhere I am now looking in to it,
particularly in relation to voice and perhaps, video contact.

MSN Messenger "Just Works" with TRillian and GAIM a close second if
people aren't on Messenger.

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

Geoff Lane

msn is cool, best to download the build from messenger.msn.com and not use
windows messenger, dont ask why, I just think it will be, there havent been
many updates for the windows messenger that ships with windows XP

Its not bad for voice+video, as good as it could be, yahoo appears to
deliver better video over slower connections, if you use broadband though
this shouldn't be an issue, plus yahoo messenger installs lots of crap,
whereas msn doesnt seem to, just the messenger.

Old June 13th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:00:34 +0000 (UTC), "Christo"
wrote:

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

msn is cool, best to download the build from messenger.msn.com and not use
windows messenger, dont ask why, I just think it will be, there havent been
many updates for the windows messenger that ships with windows XP

What's the log in procedure? Microsoft seems to insist on registering
with Microsoft .NET for some passport facility.

Geoff Lane

Old June 14th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Christo

wrote:

Is MSM ok for a three way live voice chat?

msn is cool, best to download the build from messenger.msn.com and not use
windows messenger, dont ask why, I just think it will be, there havent
been
many updates for the windows messenger that ships with windows XP

What's the log in procedure? Microsoft seems to insist on registering
with Microsoft .NET for some passport facility.

Geoff Lane

yes if you get a passport with a valid e mail address you can access any msn
website, plus msn messenger