Trouble getting W98 PC to access Internet v ia wireless router

Old June 13th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

Default Trouble getting W98 PC to access Internet v ia wireless router

Have two XP PC's and a laptop working through a wireless Draytek Vigor
2600Gi router.

The W 98 worked fine when on ISDN but can't get it to work with ADSL.

Occasionally ojn start up it does work but mostly it doesn't.

Switching off Zonealarm is no help.

It connects to the router but I am unable to access the router using MIE.

Old June 13th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Have two XP PC's and a laptop working through a wireless Draytek Vigor
2600Gi router.

The W 98 worked fine when on ISDN but can't get it to work with ADSL.

Occasionally ojn start up it does work but mostly it doesn't.

Switching off Zonealarm is no help.

It connects to the router but I am unable to access the router using MIE.

have you checked ip addressed? is the PC obtaining an ip address
(winipcfg), such as 192.168.x.x?

If it is obtaining an address (you will get an address like 169.x.x.x etc if
not), try pinging websites... Make sure all the settings in the network card
are default, make sure that no proxy exists in your internet settings...
In network neighbourhood, are you able to see other computers? Are you sure
you are not using a cross over cable by mistake?

Gaz

Old June 14th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"Gaz" wrote in message

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message ...
Have two XP PC's and a laptop working through a wireless Draytek Vigor
2600Gi router.

The W 98 worked fine when on ISDN but can't get it to work with ADSL.

Occasionally ojn start up it does work but mostly it doesn't.

Switching off Zonealarm is no help.

It connects to the router but I am unable to access the router using MIE.

have you checked ip addressed? is the PC obtaining an ip address
(winipcfg), such as 192.168.x.x?

If it is obtaining an address (you will get an address like 169.x.x.x etc
if not), try pinging websites... Make sure all the settings in the network
card are default, make sure that no proxy exists in your internet
settings...
In network neighbourhood, are you able to see other computers? Are you
sure you are not using a cross over cable by mistake?

Gaz

Before I try these things, I'll add that I can access this computer throught
the wireless router from other pc's.

Off to check the other stuff now.

Old June 14th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kevin Ashley

Trevor Appleton wrote:
Have two XP PC's and a laptop working through a wireless Draytek Vigor
2600Gi router.

The W 98 worked fine when on ISDN but can't get it to work with ADSL.

Occasionally ojn start up it does work but mostly it doesn't.

I have a similar problem with one W98 machine using Windows 98SE but
don't see it on any of the other machines I have. The problem is that
it picks up the wrong netmask - 255.0.0.0 - although it does correctly
acquire its IP address via DHCP from the WAP. Like you, I find it works
occasionally but more often than not it doesn't. But in every case
doing a manual release and renew of the connection causes the
right netmask to be obtained.

Note that, for the problem I am seeing at least, IPCONFIG /RENEW
on its own is not sufficient. From the DOS prompt, I need to do:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE 0
IPCONFIG /RENEW 0

for all to be well.

I haven't yet got sufficiently annoyed by this to try to track down
the underlying cause and fix it. It seems to fit with the other
symptom you described, wherein access to other machines on your
local LAN is OK (because they aren't affected by a bad netmask.)

HTH
Old June 14th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"Kevin Ashley" wrote in message
Trevor Appleton wrote:
[...]

Maybe the drivers on your nic are not up to scratch, you could be using some
ancient ones from the MS internal drivers database, at least eight years
old. A newer driver might sort that out..... Or even, putting in the ip
address and subnet mask manually.....

Gaz

Old June 14th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

have you checked ip addressed? is the PC obtaining an ip address
(winipcfg), such as 192.168.x.x?

Yes

If it is obtaining an address (you will get an address like 169.x.x.x etc
if not), try pinging websites... Make sure all the settings in the network
card are default,

do you mean obtain addresses automatically? (DNS/IP)

make sure that no proxy exists in your internet settings...

Can you explain?

In network neighbourhood, are you able to see other computers? Are you
sure you are not using a cross over cable by mistake?

Yes I can and there are no cables attached, it's working wirelessly

Old June 14th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

One other detail:

On start up just now I ran AVG Anti Virus and it connected and download the
virus defintion files!!

Is the problem with MIE then?

Outlook Express won't work on either howevr.

Old June 14th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message

One other detail:

On start up just now I ran AVG Anti Virus and it connected and download
the virus defintion files!!

Is the problem with MIE then?

Outlook Express won't work on either howevr.

Have you checked for proxies?

Go to internet options in control panel and connections, LanSettings. Make
sure no settings are selected.
Have you also tried pinging, first with an address, ie www.google.com and
then with the ip number 216.239.59.99

see if you get a response from either

Gaz

Old June 14th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

"Gaz" wrote in message

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message ...

One other detail:

On start up just now I ran AVG Anti Virus and it connected and download
the virus defintion files!!

Is the problem with MIE then?

Outlook Express won't work on either howevr.

Have you checked for proxies?

Go to internet options in control panel and connections, LanSettings. Make
sure no settings are selected.
Have you also tried pinging, first with an address, ie www.google.com and
then with the ip number 216.239.59.99

see if you get a response from either

In LAN settings there was a tick in the first box 'detedt settings
automatically' which I unticked.

I get a reply of around 86 - 92 ms on both pings, though the black window
immediately shuts.

Old June 15th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Appleton

Can also access the internet with RealPlayer