Setting up a wireless network on NTL

Old June 13th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grant

Default Setting up a wireless network on NTL

Hi All,

A friend wants to set up a wireless broadband router to share out his NTL
Broadband connection to his laptop. He has had some strange information from
an installer who couldn't get it to work.

I would assume this is a fairly straightforward job? Wireless router such as

connected via the Ethernet port of the cable modem to the router WAN port
and clone the PCs MAC address into the Router's config. Is there anything
else that may be an issue before I recommend this to him?

Many thanks

--
Grant

Old June 15th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grant

"Alison" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:23:11 +0100, "Grant"
wrote:

Hi All,

A friend wants to set up a wireless broadband router to share out his NTL
Broadband connection to his laptop. He has had some strange information
from
an installer who couldn't get it to work.

I would assume this is a fairly straightforward job? Wireless router such
as

connected via the Ethernet port of the cable modem to the router WAN port
and clone the PCs MAC address into the Router's config. Is there anything
else that may be an issue before I recommend this to him?

I have one of those on an NTL broadband connection and it's fine. I
don't think you even need to "clone the PCs MAC address into the
router's config", as I would have no idea how to set about doing that
but it all works.

--
Alison

Turns out what he's actually got is AOL over the NTL infrastructure. I've
heard this makes it trickier to share the connection?

Grant