Zone Files help please??

Old June 14th 05, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Default Zone Files help please??

"Chris" wrote in message
I have set up my own ftp server on my home machine. People can access it
using the IP address 82.70.254.222 (I think...), but I want to resolve
it (I think that's the right word) to the host name ftp.chriswilson.tv ,
chriswilson.tv being hosted with Gradwell.

Other way around: you want ftp.chriswilson.tv to resolve to 82.70.254.222
(or whatever).

Looks like you've got it working to me. I assume the target is a static IP
address.

Alex

Old June 14th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Chris" wrote in message
[snip]
Anonymous users are limited to /home and its sub directories, but if I
put a link to

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/home/argo.jpg

it doesn't work, yet argo.jpg is in the /home directory

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv/argo.jpg does work

Why's that then, please?

Something to do with the FTP server configuration - see the documentation.
At a guess, whatever limits anonymous users also sets the root directory to
the same.

Also, if I try and reach my ftp server from the machine it's running on
by going into Mozilla and typing

ftp://ftp.chriswilson.tv

I get logged into my router management screen. Is that normal? It's a
Netgear DG834 none wireless.

No, it's not normal - if you are using port forwarding, normal would be
failure to connect (timeout or connection refused). However, the underlying
cause is almost certainly the same: port forwarding only operates on packets
that come from "outside". Either use a local name/address for access from
local machines, or arrange for local machines to resolve ftp.chriswilson.tv
to the local address. For a small number of machines, the easiest way to
achieve the latter is to add entries in each machine's "hosts" file.

Alex