Router problem

Old June 15th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

Default Router problem

I have a dynamode 4-port router with two computers connected up via ethernet
cables.

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when switching
the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the second
computer is connected.

I check all the settings on the computer that fails to connect and all is as
you would expect. Nothing has changed on the router either.

The only way I've found to get it working is to remove the ethernet cable
from the router and put it into a different port. It then immediately starts
up and gives internet access.

Any thoughts/help please.

Thanks.

Old June 15th 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grant

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have a dynamode 4-port router with two computers connected up via
ethernet cables.

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when
switching the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the
second computer is connected.

I check all the settings on the computer that fails to connect and all is
as you would expect. Nothing has changed on the router either.

The only way I've found to get it working is to remove the ethernet cable
from the router and put it into a different port. It then immediately
starts up and gives internet access.

Any thoughts/help please.

Thanks.

Sounds like a dodgy socket on the router then. Try blowing the fluff out of
it and if that fails just use a different port.

Grant

Old June 15th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Grant" wrote in message
.co.uk...

"F9" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have a dynamode 4-port router with two computers connected up via
ethernet cables.

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when
switching the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the
second computer is connected.

I check all the settings on the computer that fails to connect and all is
as you would expect. Nothing has changed on the router either.

The only way I've found to get it working is to remove the ethernet cable
from the router and put it into a different port. It then immediately
starts up and gives internet access.

Any thoughts/help please.

Thanks.

Sounds like a dodgy socket on the router then. Try blowing the fluff out
of it and if that fails just use a different port.

Grant

I can see what you are saying, but it appears to be random. When i put it in
the new port it works fine and then after a few days or a week or so, it
goes again. Putting it back in the old 'non-working' port gets it working
again.

Odd?

Old June 15th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 15 Jun 2005 11:01, "F9" wrote:

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when switching
the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the second
computer is connected.

I have not seen that particular situation, but have seen a Netgear router
looking like it was confused by some other bit of kit, when it was first
connected. Seems the 10/100 auto sensing was having fun trying to work
out what speed the network card was at, while the network card also was
switching back and forth. Some cards can be forced to one speed, but it
might not be the problem anyway, sorry. Good luck! Peter M.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 16th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"poster" wrote in message
. 86...
On 15 Jun 2005 11:01, "F9" wrote:

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when
switching
the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the second
computer is connected.

I have not seen that particular situation, but have seen a Netgear router
looking like it was confused by some other bit of kit, when it was first
connected. Seems the 10/100 auto sensing was having fun trying to work
out what speed the network card was at, while the network card also was
switching back and forth. Some cards can be forced to one speed, but it
might not be the problem anyway, sorry. Good luck! Peter M.

Thanks, this sounds a possibility. I will look into it.

Old June 16th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message 1118919459.effb9ac6fd17482a25d584d9989a4e[email protected] ews, F9
writes
"poster" wrote in message
.86...
On 15 Jun 2005 11:01, "F9" wrote:

One computer tends to be on most of the time, but on occsion when
switching
the second one on, i get no light on the router port where the second
computer is connected.

I have not seen that particular situation, but have seen a Netgear router
looking like it was confused by some other bit of kit, when it was first
connected. Seems the 10/100 auto sensing was having fun trying to work
out what speed the network card was at, while the network card also was
switching back and forth. Some cards can be forced to one speed, but it
might not be the problem anyway, sorry. Good luck! Peter M.

Thanks, this sounds a possibility. I will look into it.

Actually, there's another possibility, a remote one though. If you have
one of the old 3Com 'combo' cards in the machine (the type with a BNC
connector) that might be trying to autodetect the port to use and
getting it wrong. You can set the card to always use the RJ45 socket.
--
Clint Sharp
Old June 17th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message [email protected] ews, F9
writes
"poster" wrote in message
. 2.86...
On 15 Jun 2005 11:01, "F9" wrote:

[...]

Both are part of the motherboard - no cards. Realtek, I think. I might try
updating the problem computer's drivers - see if there is a mroe recent one
than a couple of months ago.

Thanks.

Old June 25th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
F9

The router problem returned with a vengence this morning.

This time I was getting a signal from the computer to the router, but it
kept saying limited or no connectivity. No amount of port swapping would
sort it out.

In the end I switched both computers off and turned on the troublesome one
first. All was well, network was found and speed was great. Turned secondone
on, network still working, etc.

Is there some problem that one computer needs to be switched on before the
other? The router is fine as one computer - which never has a problem,
workes fine in any of the router ports. The other is so temperamental.