Linksys wireless - will it work with Win98SE? - newbie question

Old June 17th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coal Miner

Default Linksys wireless - will it work with Win98SE? - newbie question

Hi.
Want to set up a home wireless network - considering Linksys WRT54GSUK
wireless-G broadband router & Linksys WMP54G-UK wireless-G PCI adapter. I
have only Windows98SE - can anyone advise me if this kit will work with
Win98SE? If it won't, any advice about what kit to buy instead?

Thanks

Old June 17th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:34:44 GMT, "Coal Miner"
wrote:

Want to set up a home wireless network - considering Linksys WRT54GSUK
wireless-G broadband router & Linksys WMP54G-UK wireless-G PCI adapter. I
have only Windows98SE - can anyone advise me if this kit will work with
Win98SE?

probably. Though always best to check the mfrs spec sheets or read the
boxes for confirmation of compatibility.

I'm not a big fan of PCI wireless cards as they bury the antenna
behind a metal box, but if the two are close enough should be ok. USB
allows you to position the aerial.

Looks like you're on cable so don't need an integrated ADSL modem.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 17th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Coal Miner
says...
Hi.
Want to set up a home wireless network - considering Linksys WRT54GSUK
wireless-G broadband router & Linksys WMP54G-UK wireless-G PCI adapter. I
have only Windows98SE - can anyone advise me if this kit will work with
Win98SE? If it won't, any advice about what kit to buy instead?

Yes it will.

Win98 drivers available from Linksys website:
http://www.linksys.com/download/driv...lid=108&osid=2

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
Old June 17th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Phil Thompson
says...

I'm not a big fan of PCI wireless cards as they bury the antenna
behind a metal box, but if the two are close enough should be ok. USB
allows you to position the aerial.

...but USB is crap compared to PCI.

Old June 18th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coal Miner

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

Yes it will.

Win98 drivers available from Linksys website:
http://www.linksys.com/download/driv...lid=108&osid=2

--
Conor

Thanks for your help (both messages).

Old June 18th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Coal Miner

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news

probably. Though always best to check the mfrs spec sheets or read the
boxes for confirmation of compatibility.

I'm not a big fan of PCI wireless cards as they bury the antenna
behind a metal box, but if the two are close enough should be ok. USB
allows you to position the aerial.

Looks like you're on cable so don't need an integrated ADSL modem.

Phil
--

Thanks for your help. The info on the boxes in the shop suggests the kit
will work with 98SE.