DG834v1, DG834v2, DG834Gv1, and DG834Gv2 new firmware

Old June 17th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

Default DG834v1, DG834v2, DG834Gv1, and DG834Gv2 new firmware

Final here http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 17th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

Pre-2.10.17 firmware had the scheduling feature broken. The final has
it broken again - reverted to the .17 beta (keeps my kiddy-winks of
the 'net).

Cannot be bothered ATM to see if a factory reset will fix it as not
much has been changed since that beta and the final.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old June 17th 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:09:16 +0100, Dr Teeth
wrote:

Final here http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102713.asp

I was sorry to see that the time bug causing the wrong time in email date
lines during periods of Summer Time remains in V2.10.22.

The work-around is to refrain from using the Adjust for Daylight Savings
Time button and adjust only the Time Zone instead. So if you're in the
UK, setting the Time Zone for (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Vienna
during the summer months makes both the real time clock setting and the
email headers correct.

Shame they didn't solve the problem properly and build in the same
daylight-savings changeover-date algorithm that Windows has had for years. I
believe most countries have the changeover dates defined in perpetuity by
various national standards, so it's not as if it's rocket science.

Then you wouldn't need to use a manual daylight savings adjustment for most
parts of the world - you'd just say "I'm in GMT/London" and it would apply
the European standard changeover dates, which I believe are defined to be
the nearest Sunday to specific dates in March and October (probably those
reference dates are the equinox dates of 21 Mar and 21 Oct).

In the meantime, I'll remember that trick of leaving daylight savings turned
off and alternating between GMT and GMT+1.

Old June 18th 05, 02:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 17 Jun 2005 23:50, "Martin Underwood" wrote:

Shame they didn't solve the problem properly and build in the same
daylight-savings changeover-date algorithm that Windows has had for years.

But in networking / logging terms, keeping to one time standard (UTC) makes
more sense. You don't need to care about the date or record an offset, and
you can collect logs from kit worldwide, and it will all be in sync, so you
can track problems more easily. Peter Morgan.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 18th 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"poster" wrote in message
. 85...
On 17 Jun 2005 23:50, "Martin Underwood" wrote:

Shame they didn't solve the problem properly and build in the same
daylight-savings changeover-date algorithm that Windows has had for years.

But in networking / logging terms, keeping to one time standard (UTC)
makes
more sense. You don't need to care about the date or record an offset,
and
you can collect logs from kit worldwide, and it will all be in sync, so
you
can track problems more easily. Peter Morgan.

If you are working entirely within one timezone, it's much easier for times
to be displayed in local time so you can relate the clock time when an event
occurred to an entry in an event log, without having to do mental
calculations about the time difference. Normally you'll remember to add the
daylight savings hour if it's summer, but in the heat of the moment when
you're under pressure you might forget, and then wonder why there's no event
log to correspond to a crash that you know happened at 10 AM (BST)... until
you realise that this will be recorded in the log as 9 AM (GMT). It's always
a pain when the timestamps on emails displayed in Outlook Express gain/lose
an hour because they were sent in winter time and it's now summer time.

Old June 18th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:37:36 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

One poster mentioned he uses that to give timed net access to the
computer his kids use.

Not exactly. I open up access when I am next to the computers and
disable it when I am not. I have not come across this bug before but
am staggered that it has not been fixed.

--
Cheers,

Guy