turning on pc cuts off adsl? baffled...

Old June 19th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlintingHedgehog

Default turning on pc cuts off adsl? baffled...

Home network set-up as follows

Modem
Linksys wired/wireless router

2 laptops, each wireless-enabled (one internal, one with removable
network card)
1 pc, with internal wireless network card

This set-up has worked fine for about a year. We just moved house,
and the broadband is set up again (same ISP, though faster
connection), and everything works exactly as it did before, except:

- when we turn on the desktop pc, the adsl connection goes - almost
instantly (ie within a second or two of pressing the button on the
front of the pc). The home network still operates - all computers can
see shared folders on all others, all computers can print (the
desktop pc operates as a print server), and the connection is showing
as "excellent". But no internet connection. The light on the router
for the internet connection is flashing, rather than steady, as it
should be. Turning off the desktop pc again doesn't help - we have to
reboot the modem.

We tried moving the desktop to another location - same thing
happened.

We tried moving the modem/router to another socket - same problem,
except that when the pc was shut down, the adsl came back without
rebooting.

Here's the bit I *really* can't fathom: we have now disabled the
wireless on the pc - and it's *still* doing the same thing. It's not
plugged into any phone-line, it doesn't have any apparent connection
to the network...but the problem still occurs.

There is nothing else plugged into the phone-line except for one
phone.

As I said in the subject-line, I'm baffled. Any ideas?

--
Hedgehog
Old June 19th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

GlintingHedgehog wrote:

[...]

If you reboot the router with the PC still on, does it re-establish a connection?

Have you tried actually physically removing the PCI wireless network card from the
PC? Maybe it is somehow still generating a signal?

Could the power supply in the PC somehow be affecting the router? Maybe you could try
a different one if you've got one handy.

As you say it is a bit of a strange one, I hope these suggestions are of assistance
to you.

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 19th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bof

In message ,
GlintingHedgehog writes
[...]

My first suspicion is that the PC/PSU is causing interference on the
phone line, has the ADSL modem got any diagnostics? What is the
SNR/margin before and after switching on the rogue PC? Have you tried
plugging the ADSL modem direct into the phone line at the master socket
and disconnecting all the phone extension wiring?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk