wireless networking ... laptop P2P ... DQOTW

Old June 21st 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

Default wireless networking ... laptop P2P ... DQOTW

Is it possible to have, say, 2 wireless laptops that will connect wirelessly
with each other in the absence of a router etc?
I know there are different modes (ad-hoc, infrastructure) but I don't know
if these apply ....

What i want to be able to do is have 2 users in the same room, who can
'interact' wirelessly with each other transferring files (Word docs etc)
without the need for them to be 'networked' in the traditional manner.

Or do I have to have a router that 'creates' a network into which the
systems will login?

Old June 21st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Tx2 says...
Is it possible to have, say, 2 wireless laptops that will connect wirelessly
with each other in the absence of a router etc?
I know there are different modes (ad-hoc, infrastructure) but I don't know
if these apply ....

What i want to be able to do is have 2 users in the same room, who can
'interact' wirelessly with each other transferring files (Word docs etc)
without the need for them to be 'networked' in the traditional manner.

Yes. Its called "Ad Hoc" mode. Ad hoc is one machine talking to
another. Infrastructure involves a hub/WAP/Wireless Router.

--
Conor

Old June 21st 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

In t,
Conor informed everyone :
In article , Tx2 says...
Is it possible to have, say, 2 wireless laptops that will connect
wirelessly with each other in the absence of a router etc?
I know there are different modes (ad-hoc, infrastructure) but I
don't know if these apply ....

What i want to be able to do is have 2 users in the same room, who
can 'interact' wirelessly with each other transferring files (Word
docs etc) without the need for them to be 'networked' in the
traditional manner.

Yes. Its called "Ad Hoc" mode. Ad hoc is one machine talking to
another. Infrastructure involves a hub/WAP/Wireless Router.

many thanks ...

Old June 21st 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Tx2 says...

In t,
Conor informed everyone :
In article , Tx2 says...
Is it possible to have, say, 2 wireless laptops that will connect
wirelessly with each other in the absence of a router etc?
I know there are different modes (ad-hoc, infrastructure) but I
don't know if these apply ....

What i want to be able to do is have 2 users in the same room, who
can 'interact' wirelessly with each other transferring files (Word
docs etc) without the need for them to be 'networked' in the
traditional manner.

Yes. Its called "Ad Hoc" mode. Ad hoc is one machine talking to
another. Infrastructure involves a hub/WAP/Wireless Router.

many thanks ...

No probs. Just a heads up that it can sometimes be a pain trying to get
Ad Hoc working.

--
Conor