Remote connection options

Old June 22nd 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David McManus

Default Remote connection options

My brother and his wife will soon be moving into a caravan in a field in the
middle of Somerset while they build a farm around it.
They want to run a business from a website selling their farm produce but
have no telephony connections and BT want 20K to set it up for them!

My question is, what are their options? They have a good mobile signal.
Would a handheld computer of some flavour and GPRS be a way to go? They
probably won't be using a lot of bandwidth - just checking emails once or
twice a day and administering the website. I don't know what the 3G
reception is like but I'm betting not good/non existent.

Is satellite internet connection viable or too expensive for such reasonably
minimal use?

If anyone has any experience of anything similar, I'd be interested and
grateful to hear it.

Thanks.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David McManus

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "David
McManus" says...
[...]

Any neighbours who could help out? I'd have thought it would be
worth investigating the possibility of a wireless link to someone who
has a connection.

Good suggestion Rob, I will get them to find out. Only trouble might be that
it's something like 40 acres of land, so distance might be an issue. Depends
where they are placing their property I suppose.

I'm thinking that a good alternative might be an Orange Mobile Office card.
It will pick up 3G if available and drop out to GPRS if not. Not only would
this be future proof if and when 3G becomes available in their remote area,
but it would mean they could keep up with business if they went away
somewhere.

Anyone have any experiences with this card?

Old June 22nd 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , David McManus
says...
My brother and his wife will soon be moving into a caravan in a field in the
middle of Somerset while they build a farm around it.
They want to run a business from a website selling their farm produce but
have no telephony connections and BT want 20K to set it up for them!

My question is, what are their options? They have a good mobile signal.
Would a handheld computer of some flavour and GPRS be a way to go? They
probably won't be using a lot of bandwidth - just checking emails once or
twice a day and administering the website. I don't know what the 3G
reception is like but I'm betting not good/non existent.

Is satellite internet connection viable or too expensive for such reasonably
minimal use?

If anyone has any experience of anything similar, I'd be interested and
grateful to hear it.

Why are BT wanting 20k? AFAIK, its in legislation that there is a
maximum connection charge for domestic landlines set by Oftel which is
around 75.

--
Conor