Slow network speed?

Old June 22nd 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BJH

Default Slow network speed?

Hi

I have a small network of 3 x Win98SE machines and 1 x WinXP SP2 Home
machine all connected together using a 3COM ADSL Wireless Router.

Connection to the internet via the router works fine with speeds around
50KB/s on a 512k connection. But speeds on the LAN between local PCs are
dreadful, generally around the 1-3KB/s.

I have checked the TCP registry settings, MTU is 1500, Tcp Receive window
is 8192, TTL is 64 and all machines have the same settings.

I have looked at the NIC card link settings and all are currently set to
auto negotiate, I have tried 'fixed' settings both 10Mb and 100Mb but it
doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have also tried using a single 8 port switch and currently have that
'piggy backed' onto the router with all four PCs plugged into the switch
with a single lead from the switch to the router. Oh and the router handles
DCHP.

I am at the end of my limited understanding.

Help!

--
Regards
Barry
Old June 22nd 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:45:20 +0100, BJH
wrote:

I have a small network of 3 x Win98SE machines and 1 x WinXP SP2 Home
machine all connected together using a 3COM ADSL Wireless Router.

Connection to the internet via the router works fine with speeds around
50KB/s on a 512k connection. But speeds on the LAN between local PCs are
dreadful, generally around the 1-3KB/s.

Can you make sure the Win98SE machines are using TCP/IP ONLY. Make
sure NetBIOS and IPX protocols are turned OFF for each network
connection.

These are older network protocols which were great on local area wired
networks (as was the fashion when Win98 was born), but unsuited to
WiFi or broadband internet.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old June 22nd 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BJH

wrote:

I have a small network of 3 x Win98SE machines and 1 x WinXP SP2 Home
machine all connected together using a 3COM ADSL Wireless Router.

Connection to the internet via the router works fine with speeds around
50KB/s on a 512k connection. But speeds on the LAN between local PCs are
dreadful, generally around the 1-3KB/s.

Can you make sure the Win98SE machines are using TCP/IP ONLY. Make
sure NetBIOS and IPX protocols are turned OFF for each network
connection.

These are older network protocols which were great on local area wired
networks (as was the fashion when Win98 was born), but unsuited to
WiFi or broadband internet.

No, they're all running TCP/IP.

I have updated all the NIC drivers, all are Realtek based cards, and that
has helped but only a little so I'm still looking for suggestions.

Watching the port LEDs on the front of the switch it appears when two
machines are 'talking' that both LEDs flash on and off together at approx
1/2 sec intervals. I would have expected much more 'activity' during a
transfer, and not synchronised?

--
Best regards
Barry