Virtual ISP? Dial-up to ADSL computer?

Old June 22nd 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.vendors
Fred

Default Virtual ISP? Dial-up to ADSL computer?

I have broadband on a Win2000 machine using a Draytek router. I would like
my children to dial into my computer to access the internet. I have two
telephone lines so I can test the setup here. I have created an "Incoming
Connection" and the PCs handshake and connect. However that's about as far
as it goes and there's no internet access. I can, however, ping the Win2000
machine from the remote PC. If I type in "ipconfig /all" on the remote PC,
the IP address is the same as the gateway address. Is this to be expected?

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject. Any keywords I use tend to come back with irrelevant sites etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best group to ask
this sort of question?

Old June 22nd 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Eager

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:23:23 UTC, "Fred" wrote:

I have broadband on a Win2000 machine using a Draytek router. I would like
my children to dial into my computer to access the internet. I have two
telephone lines so I can test the setup here. I have created an "Incoming
Connection" and the PCs handshake and connect. However that's about as far
as it goes and there's no internet access. I can, however, ping the Win2000
machine from the remote PC. If I type in "ipconfig /all" on the remote PC,
the IP address is the same as the gateway address. Is this to be expected?

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject. Any keywords I use tend to come back with irrelevant sites etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best group to ask
this sort of question?

Well, not this one (uk.comp.vendors, that is; the other group may be
able to help). There are several basic networking issues here...such as
routing, and what happens if you have only one IP address to play with.

I suggest that you ask in a Windows networking newsgroup. I do
networking, but I don't do Windows, so I can't actually name a group.
Use Google Groups to locate one.
--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old June 22nd 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:23:23 +0100, "Fred" wrote:

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/w2krras.html

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../w2krascn.html

HTH

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 23rd 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.vendors
Lordy

Fred wrote:

[...]

Windows Networking. FWIW I think there are much better (and possibly
cheaper) ways to accomplished your high level objectives. When you ask in
the correct group outline your high level requirements before mentioning
how you have gone about it so far. You may get a much simpler solution!
(Hence your lack of hits Googling around)

Also this is WAY off topic in u.c.v!

Lordy
Old June 24th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Fred" wrote:

I have broadband on a Win2000 machine using a Draytek router. I would like
my children to dial into my computer to access the internet. I have two
telephone lines so I can test the setup here. I have created an "Incoming
Connection" and the PCs handshake and connect. However that's about as far
as it goes and there's no internet access. I can, however, ping the Win2000
machine from the remote PC. If I type in "ipconfig /all" on the remote PC,
the IP address is the same as the gateway address. Is this to be expected?

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject. Any keywords I use tend to come back with irrelevant sites etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best group to ask
this sort of question?

Can I ask why you want them to dial into your computer? Surely it would be better to
so this via a cabled network setup? That way your children will get broadband speeds
and with no phone call costs.

If you need dial up because of distance wouldn't it be easier for them to simply dial
directly to an ISP?

I may have misunderstood your point though.

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 24th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 24 Jun 2005 10:25, Andrew Sayers wrote:

If you need dial up because of distance wouldn't it be easier for them
to simply dial directly to an ISP?

Calls to geographic numbers might be included in their phone calling
package, either as a paid-for option, or if they are all using some
service such as TalkTalk, on 'free calls to other customers' ...

I know the small print is highly likely to state these are for voice
calls but I'd guess that little or no notice would be taken for the
calls - unless they were clocking up silly numbers of minutes a day.

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old June 24th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"poster" wrote in message
. 85...
On 24 Jun 2005 10:25, Andrew Sayers wrote:

If you need dial up because of distance wouldn't it be easier for them
to simply dial directly to an ISP?

Calls to geographic numbers might be included in their phone calling
package, either as a paid-for option, or if they are all using some
service such as TalkTalk, on 'free calls to other customers' ...

I know the small print is highly likely to state these are for voice
calls but I'd guess that little or no notice would be taken for the
calls - unless they were clocking up silly numbers of minutes a day.

--

Essentially got it in one. It reduces costs somewhat although ties their
line up. Just that my ex and her partner are Luddites and I want to make

Old June 24th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 24 Jun 2005 14:01, "Fred" wrote:

Essentially got it in one. It reduces costs somewhat although ties their
line up. Just that my ex and her partner are Luddites ...

Tying their line up for hours might encourage them into this century :-)