Recommended wireless VPN router?

Old June 23rd 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
D.M. Procida

Default Recommended wireless VPN router?

I'm tired of messing about with SSH tunnels and port forwarding (not to
mention the fact that my Netgear WG614 router seems to crash daily and
ought to be replaced), and I'd like a proper VPN in the office so I can
connect easily from home.

I need a router with 802.11g, to connect to the cable modem. It would be
nice if it could support more than one concurrent VPN client. AppleTalk
would be a bonus, but I can live without it. My actual VPN needs are
pretty modest. Is anything particularly recommended?

Thanks,

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Old June 23rd 05, 04:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

D.M. Procida wrote:

I need a router with 802.11g, to connect to the cable modem. It would be
nice if it could support more than one concurrent VPN client. AppleTalk
would be a bonus, but I can live without it.

I don't know much about other inexpensive makes, but the Draytek Vigor
routers (with the exception of the cheaper of the various ADSL models)
support several VPN connections, and handle DDNS without the need to run
a DDNS program on a computer. I think the 2900 family is what you need.
I've found that Vigors are not too good at setting up LAN-to-LAN
connections (I.e., joining two LANs to look like one big LAN), which is
probably a firmware issue which may get resolved eventually. The Vigor
firewall is pretty good.

If you want LAN-to-LAN operation you are better off with a Cisco router.
It will be as difficult, or more difficult, to set up than a Vigor, but
it will eventually work when you manage to get the settings right.
Firewall protection is better than with a Vigor if you are running
services which allow outside computers to access your LAN (e.g., Web
server, FTP server, etc.)

HTH,
--
Michael Salem