What cables should I run?

Old June 24th 05, 12:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default What cables should I run?

Assuming I'm posting to the correct group, and I
can't imagine how I'm not, I need some advice on
the following...

I'm nearing completion of my, purpose built, studio
at the far-end of my, very long but very narrow,
garden. Part of the construction involved digging
a trench, from the house to the lodge, which was
about 50m in length.

In the trench, we laid a 'mains' cold-water feed,
16mm 4-core Armored electrical cable (necessary to
overcome the voltage drop, over that distance) and
3" ribbed conduit complete with draw-string inside
as supplied. Also in the trench is 3' waste for
Saniflow system which steps up to 4" gravity waste
pipe at halfway point.

I need advice about what cables I should run through
the buried, hollow conduit, using the draw-string?

My current thinking is to run the following:

4 ethernet cables. One will be to feed my BT Broadband
access to the studio, via a Vigor wireless router
(which will also provide wireless access in the house.

1 or 2 telephone cables for future additional lines.

Alarm cable for security system.

Sattelite/TV cable.

And the main sticking point for me, is that I want to
install a 'low-cost' visitor announcement system. I will
always make the journey to the front door to let someone
in, so there's no need for remotely activated entry. I
simply want a visitor to push a button that buzzes me in
the lodge and allows me to speak to the visitor. At the
same time, I would like to be able to see the visitor,
but not neccessarily via the same device as the 2-way
audio... I was thinking about using a web-cam and thus
making use of one of the other 'unused' ethernet cables!

Because of the problem of voltage drop, I'm not sure how
to proceed with this and would be very grateful for advice
from those of you who have experience with such installations.

Can you help?

Thanks a m

deano.

Old June 24th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would not differentiate between the Ethernet cables and Telephone cables.
You want to install a number of CAT5e or even CAT6 cables. It you are
creative you can put at least two telephones down one of these. If you
ignore the ring circuit (use an ADSL filter at the remote end to generate
ring to the phone) you could put 4 telephones down one CAT5 cable,

There are low cost video entryphone systems on the market (or about to go on
the market - I know the designer) that use CAT5 cable

John Steele

Old June 25th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

So, if I was to run 4 CAT6 cables, would that be sufficient to my
needs?
I haven't yet begun to investigate which actual devices I will purchase
for these systems but will soon lose the access allowing me to run
cable,
which is why I need to obtain and install now!

Am I right in assuming that each service will need its own CAT6 line?
i.e. One for the telephone(s), one for broadband access and one for the
video-entry system, or can one or more be routed along the same cable?

Where can I learn more about putting a phone line down CAT6 cable
and I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'ingore the ring circuit',
would you mind expanding on this?

Also, is there info available about the new low-cost video-entry
systems
soon to be available. When and how could I get hold of one? Could I
contact your designer friend for specs etc?

Thanks for the response.

rgds

Dean Heighington

Old June 25th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On 25 Jun 2005 03:12:23 -0700, wrote:

Where can I learn more about putting a phone line down CAT6 cable
and I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'ingore the ring circuit',
would you mind expanding on this?

BT circuits in houses use a ring wire, but the line coming in is only
two cores so the ring adds a 3rd.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

some phones don't need the ring wire but in any case an ADSL
microfilter re-generates the ring wire.

see also http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm
the centre two pins/cores of an RJ45 can carry a phone line and you
can plug an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket to use them.

looks like you'll be spending a fair wack on 4 cables for 50m run -
200 ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 25th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Phil
Thompson" says...
On 25 Jun 2005 03:12:23 -0700,
wrote:

Where can I learn more about putting a phone line down CAT6 cable
and I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'ingore the ring circuit',
would you mind expanding on this?

BT circuits in houses use a ring wire, but the line coming in is only
two cores so the ring adds a 3rd.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

some phones don't need the ring wire but in any case an ADSL
microfilter re-generates the ring wire.

see also http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm
the centre two pins/cores of an RJ45 can carry a phone line and you
can plug an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket to use them.

looks like you'll be spending a fair wack on 4 cables for 50m run -
200 ?

Eh? Cat5e is about 30 for a 300m roll.
Old June 25th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 25 Jun 2005 13:13, Rob Morley wrote:

Cat5e is about 30 for a 300m roll.

But the other poster mentioned Cat6
Old June 25th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"poster" says...
On 25 Jun 2005 13:13, Rob Morley wrote:

Cat5e is about 30 for a 300m roll.

But the other poster mentioned Cat6

I missed that - OK, make it 80
Old June 25th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

CAT5e cable is about 27 per 300 metre reel
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcate...ialoffer=False

CAT6 cable is about 75 per 300 m reel
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcate...ialoffer=False

There are other sources. I would think that CAT5 would be adequate for your
needs and much cheaper. You will need a Krone tool for punching down the
cables into the connectors (look at the inside of a telephone socket for the
general idea). CAT6 may give you better results for gigabit Ethernet but I
would personally not pay the extra cost. By the way don't forget to pull
another draw wire through with your cables!

This is solid cable so you need to terminate each cable in an RJ45 socket.
There are several ways of doing this, a patch panel or individual RJ45
sockets. The site above has several options.

You connect to these patch panels or have further CAT5/6 wiring at each end
also with RJ45 sockets with patch cords in between - a patch panel! This
maintains flexibility for any change of use. .

The Ethernet is straight forward as it uses RJ45 connectors. Telephones
don't - they use BT plugs but adaptors are readily available. they are used
in most office premises for telephones. To use the trick I suggested you
would need to make your own adaptor,. I am not aware of any commercial
ones..

I have contacted my friend by email to see when the product will be placed
on the market.

John Steele

Old June 25th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:17:00 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

I missed that - OK, make it 80

I was looking at screened industrial grade with stranded cores now I
look back at it. Hence the price :-)

Phil
Old June 27th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

Also, is there info available about the new low-cost video-entry
systems
soon to be available. When and how could I get hold of one? Could I
contact your designer friend for specs etc?

Thanks for the response.

I have heard from my friend. The product is called Bellisimo and it is made
by Bell System http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

The product is too new to go on their web site but there is very limited
mention on their distributor sites! I gather it is selling well and there
were a large number of back orders. No I am not on commission! I have not
seen it but I know the designer. I don't know the retail price.

John Steele