minimal internet/home system

Old June 24th 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default minimal internet/home system

I just got a 2nd hand PII and I'm surfing the internet with few
problems. It's got me wondering what minimum system you need if you
want to go online--in theory it can be a very slow, old computer (PI or
below), if the internet connection is a real bottleneck (esp. dialup)?
However I'm seeing more and more websites that absolutely refuse to run
if you don't have flash support, in which case I'd think a PII is the
minimum you need. I also do lightweight multimedia (playing MP3s and
MPEGs) and use USB storage devices (for which I use WinME, although I
know Win98SE also supports them) so I would think a PII system is
necessary. Even with my system I get a bit of jerkiness with
multiple-frame pages or switching quickly between pages on the taskbar.
Has anyone used less powerful systems to surf successfully?

Seb

Old June 24th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
says...
I just got a 2nd hand PII and I'm surfing the internet with few
problems. It's got me wondering what minimum system you need if you
want to go online--in theory it can be a very slow, old computer (PI or
below), if the internet connection is a real bottleneck (esp. dialup)?
However I'm seeing more and more websites that absolutely refuse to run
if you don't have flash support, in which case I'd think a PII is the
minimum you need. I also do lightweight multimedia (playing MP3s and
MPEGs) and use USB storage devices (for which I use WinME, although I
know Win98SE also supports them) so I would think a PII system is
necessary. Even with my system I get a bit of jerkiness with
multiple-frame pages or switching quickly between pages on the taskbar.
Has anyone used less powerful systems to surf successfully?

You can use a 486/386 if you find the right software. There's nothing
special about browsing the internet and Windows 3.x had browsers
available for it.

--
Conor