Linksys WAG54G alternatives

Old June 26th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

Default Linksys WAG54G alternatives

Hi all,

I've recently come over to ADSL from broadband. Previously I was using a
Sitecom WIreless router with my canble (Ntl) connection, no issues with the
router just the blasted service provider... anyway.

I've joined Zen and ordered a DSL300T ADSL modem which I was hoping to run
through the Sitecom WL-025 but I can't get the two to talk to each other.

More specifically I want to be able to use the end set up to allow me to
host my own sites.

Now then.. I've been given a Linksys WAG54G to play with. It's good but it
keeps on rebooting due to the well documented overheating problems.

What alternatives are there which will simpley allow me to use ADSL and
allow port forwarding without risking burning the house down? Something
tried tested and meproof would be cool.

Lee D

--

www.lrproject.com

Workshop photos from Landrover repairs
& other such tinkerings.
Home of Percy the Jag powered Landrover

Old June 27th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

I have a DG384G which is wireless/router/firewall/ADSL modem in a single
box.

BUT... are you considering using VoIP to make calls over the web? If so
then I'd wait a month or two because what you really want is all of the
above, plus a built in VoIP ATA. The ATA alows a conventional (most people
use DECT phones) to be connected to the the Internet. Having the ATA built
in allows it to throttle back other (outbound) traffic to maintain the
quality of the VoIP calls being made.

These "complete" (as I call them ;-) ) boxes are just becoming available and
I would expect them to become common over the next few months. Look at
uk.telecom.voip to see that people are finally starting to play around with
VoIP in this country.

So if you really won't want VoIP, a DG384G works for me. If you do,
consider waiting or perhaps buying a couple of separates to get the same
overall set-up.

Paul DS.