Setting up an XP server. Keyboard and mouse removal

Old June 27th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

Default Setting up an XP server. Keyboard and mouse removal

OK , I've got apache installed and running. I'm happy the site can be seen
on the web.

To log on past the login screen I need to input the username password
(standard XP login)

If I remove the Keyboard , Mouse and monitor is their any way around this
initial log in screen that will still give me the security required for
remote log in using remote desktop?

I'm relatively new to all this, I'bve tried a google but nothing obvious.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to bung the server somewhere out of the way.

Lee D

--

www.lrproject.com

Workshop photos from Landrover repairs
& other such tinkerings.
Home of Percy the Jag powered Landrover

Old June 27th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
If all it's running is Apache why aren't you running Linux or a BSD?

Fear of the unknown I guess if I'm honest. I've often considered it but I've
been put off with how long it's taken me to get my head around the Windows
side.

I've never even seen Linux working... is it all test based like MS DOS is or
is it just a different type of front end to Windows?

Lee D

Old June 27th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:00:38 +0100, "Lee_D"
wrote:

is it all test based like MS DOS is or
is it just a different type of front end to Windows?

either, depends what you're doing and how you like to work. Once its
in production mode no point in runing x-windows front ends - there
won't be a mouse to do anything with it.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 27th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Lee_D
writes
OK , I've got apache installed and running. I'm happy the site can be seen
on the web.

To log on past the login screen I need to input the username password
(standard XP login)

If I remove the Keyboard , Mouse and monitor is their any way around this
initial log in screen that will still give me the security required for
remote log in using remote desktop?

I'm relatively new to all this, I'bve tried a google but nothing obvious.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to bung the server somewhere out of the way.

Look for TweakUI from Microsoft. It has an option that can automatically
log on a user.

On the Linux front, if you are happy with XP then go with what you know.
I'm told that Apache 2 is reasonably stable under Windows. I'm using
Linux to host an Apache server on an old PC acquired from work. It's
working pretty well.

There is a steep learning curve for Linux but it's usually possible to
find out how to do most things if you have reasonable Google skills. If
you only want to set up a server on a home network then XP is good
enough. If you want to leave a server set up permanently connected to
the Internet then I'd avoid using XP. That's why I'm learning Linux. If
you must use XP then I suggest you make sure that it's patched to the
hilt and behind a decent firewall.

If you want to run an Internet server then it's best to have as few
other programs on the machine as you can. That's part of the reason why
Linux Internet servers rarely use a graphical interface, there are just
too many additional programs required. Each extra program is one more
security risk.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old June 28th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
In message , Lee_D
writes
Look for TweakUI from Microsoft. It has an option that can automatically
log on a user.

Excellent, someone suggested this a few weeks back but I couldn't recall
what it was called. Installed and sorted :0)

Just need to tweak my BIOS now for Mouse and Keyboard errors.

snip

There is a steep learning curve for Linux but it's usually possible to
find out how to do most things if you have reasonable Google skills. If
you only want to set up a server on a home network then XP is good enough.
If you want to leave a server set up permanently connected to the Internet
then I'd avoid using XP. That's why I'm learning Linux. If you must use XP
then I suggest you make sure that it's patched to the hilt and behind a
decent firewall.

I've been doing just this earlier. I've another spare machine which will no
doubt get the treatment and be used as an experimenting ground / backup
server once sorted.

I've no doubt once I get into it the XP server will hit the dust :0)

If you want to run an Internet server then it's best to have as few other
programs on the machine as you can. That's part of the reason why Linux
Internet servers rarely use a graphical interface, there are just too many
additional programs required. Each extra program is one more security
risk.

This XP (for now) machine is purely to be used as a server.

Many thanks

Lee D

Old June 28th 05, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Bernard Peek
writes
Look for TweakUI from Microsoft. It has an option that can
automatically log on a user.

Not needed, click Start, Run, enter 'control userpasswords2', click OK
clear the Users Must enter a password to log on check box, click apply
and the system will ask you which user you would like to be the default
user (automatically logged in)

On the Linux front, if you are happy with XP then go with what you
know.

Use IIS on Win XP. No comment on the security or other aspect and I
really don't want to get into it but it's relatively easy to configure
and he has everything he needs on the Win XP CD.

--
Clint Sharp
Old June 28th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

You could always just hook up the circuit boards from a retired
keyboard and mouse (and shove them inside the case wrapped in a bit
of tape or something to insulate them), then if you ever need to use
a keyboard and mouse you just unplug the dummies and plug in good
ones.

Nice one.

I've sorted the bios though now, only down side being that it doesn't play
ball simply pluging them in when required so seems your suggestion would
work at least for the odd tweak. I have however remote desktop logged in
from my main machine for tinkering. Seems a good setup so far.

I've also set up a Msn messenger account so I can see when it's running ok
or when for some odd reason it's dropped off. This saves any fancey pinging
stuff.

What are the Pro's and cons of me bunging in a wireless card for the ease of
reinstalation in the corner of the garage of choice.

Lee D

Old June 29th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
Use IIS on Win XP. No comment on the security or other aspect and I really
don't want to get into it but it's relatively easy to configure and he has
everything he needs on the Win XP CD.

This was my first port of call.... it wasn't at all happy so I gave up. I
think that sliding towards Apache was the first step down the linux path for
me. I'll probably get aroundtuit when the nights draw in and it's too
cold/wet outside to play.

Lee D