Help needed re equipment setup

Old June 28th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mark

Default Help needed re equipment setup

A friend wants me to get some kit and configure broadband connection. What
do i need?

Some info:

Room 1 has phonepoint with phone only.

Room 2 (nearby same floor) has desktop PC.

Desktop to remain where it is but with no wiring between rooms.

Is this what I need or something else?

Wireless Modem/Router (plug into phone socket)
USB wireless adaptor card for desktop
NIC for desktop & ethernet cable

Do i install the NIC/cable to configure then remove cable? Will they then
speak to each other wirelessly?

Cheers

Old June 28th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Grant

"mark" wrote in message
|A friend wants me to get some kit and configure broadband connection. What
| do i need?
|
| Some info:
|
| Room 1 has phonepoint with phone only.
|
| Room 2 (nearby same floor) has desktop PC.
|
| Desktop to remain where it is but with no wiring between rooms.
|
| Is this what I need or something else?
|
| Wireless Modem/Router (plug into phone socket)
| USB wireless adaptor card for desktop
| NIC for desktop & ethernet cable
|
| Do i install the NIC/cable to configure then remove cable? Will they then
| speak to each other wirelessly?
|
| Cheers

Sounds like you've done your research - this is exactly what you need. The
only other thing is an ADSL filter for the phone line.

It's always best to set up the router with a wired connection first, then
move onto a wireless one.

I haven't used a USB wireless device myself, you may also want to consider a
PCI Wireless card if you've got the slot free?

Would recommend Linksys kit at the moment - quite cheap from PC World (of
all places!) if you book online and pickup in store.

Grant

Old June 28th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , mark
says...
A friend wants me to get some kit and configure broadband connection. What
do i need?

Some info:

Room 1 has phonepoint with phone only.

Room 2 (nearby same floor) has desktop PC.

Desktop to remain where it is but with no wiring between rooms.

Is this what I need or something else?

Wireless Modem/Router (plug into phone socket)
USB wireless adaptor card for desktop
NIC for desktop & ethernet cable

Do i install the NIC/cable to configure then remove cable? Will they then
speak to each other wirelessly?

DO NOT USE A USB WIFI ADAPTER. Seriously, don't. Should he wish to move
the PC, the range is absolutely dire and with Belkin PCI ones popping
up on e-Bay for 20, there's no need to.

--
Conor