Which wireless ADSL modem?

Old June 28th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mark

Default Which wireless ADSL modem?

Need to get one of these but havent got a clue.

Grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks

Old June 28th 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , mark
says...
Need to get one of these but havent got a clue.

Grateful for any recommendations.

Netgear DG834GT.

--
Conor

Old June 29th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Oakley

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:52:59 +0100, "mark" wrote:

Need to get one of these but havent got a clue.
Grateful for any recommendations.

Netgear, DLink and Linksys are generally acknowledged as the top
brands. Within those they all have similar features.

Things to consider:

* Are you ever likely to need to change the antenna, or connect an
external antenna (for instance, might you ever want to mount an
antenna in the loft to give better coverage)?

* Do you need ethernet ports too? I'd generally recommend getting one
that has at least four ethernet ports, for connecting non-wireless
stuff.

* Do you want an internal or external power supply? Internal power
supplies generate a lot of heat and need ventilation, but are easy to
hook up to a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply, a battery backup for
during a power cut). External power supplies generally mean a cooler
unit, but can be bulky and won't connect to a UPS without a lot of
hassle.

* Which wifi standard do you want? I'd recommend G (54Mbps) as this
works with pretty much anything and as pretty fast. If you want
coverage in a big garden and can afford to spend big money, try a
Pre-N standard, this has significantly more range but the kit (both
the routers and the wifi cards) cost a lot more. Alternatively if you
are looking to save money, and don't need high speed (for instance,
you're only sharing an internet connection, not copying files from
machine to machine), you'll find great discounts on B (10Mbps) kit.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Old June 29th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , mark
writes
Need to get one of these but havent got a clue.

Grateful for any recommendations.

The current issue of PC World has a bunch of reviews in it.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old June 29th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Andrew Oakley" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:52:59 +0100, "mark" wrote:

Netgear, DLink and Linksys are generally acknowledged as the top
brands. Within those they all have similar features.

Avoid Linksys like the plague unless you have a spare Processor cooling
fan... a drill...4 cable ties and a soldering iron.

At least thats my experience of a WAG54G... and a quick google on Linksys
and Overheat shows I'm not alone.

Of course it would have helped if it wasn't a cast off headed towards the
bin in the first place, but then it shouldn't have been headed that way. I'm
glad it did thou or I'd have had to buy one...heaven forbid :0)

Lee D

Old June 29th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Lee_D" wrote:

"Andrew Oakley" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:52:59 +0100, "mark" wrote:

Netgear, DLink and Linksys are generally acknowledged as the top
brands. Within those they all have similar features.

Avoid Linksys like the plague unless you have a spare Processor cooling
fan... a drill...4 cable ties and a soldering iron.

At least thats my experience of a WAG54G... and a quick google on Linksys
and Overheat shows I'm not alone.

Of course it would have helped if it wasn't a cast off headed towards the
bin in the first place, but then it shouldn't have been headed that way. I'm
glad it did thou or I'd have had to buy one...heaven forbid :0)

Maybe you were unlucky? I've got one here and I'm pretty pleased with it. Odd reboots
needed but it seems reliable. Wireless signal is good.

I've not noticed any overheating - I'll have a google and see what comes up.

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old June 29th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Lee_D

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message

Maybe you were unlucky? I've got one here and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Odd reboots
needed but it seems reliable. Wireless signal is good.

I was having to reboot around twice a day. Case was very hot to the
touch...like you could keep a brew warm on it.

Since I fitted the fan on to it it's been as good as gold and not needed a
reboot once. Looks a bit odd though but at least I managed to do it without
resorting to a carboard bog roll and duct tape )

I suppose I do expect a bit much but thought it worthy of mention as others
have the same problem. Reviews on the likes of Ebuyer speak volumes.

Lee D

Old June 30th 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Maybe you were unlucky? I've got one here and I'm pretty pleased with it.
Odd reboots
needed but it seems reliable. Wireless signal is good.

"Odd reboots" and "reliable" don't sit well together!

My Netgear DG384G is on 24/7 and (touches wooden desk), I've never had
problems past firmware v1.5.00 which had known DNS issues. I'm on the
latest official v2 software and it is all working fine.

Paul DS.

Old July 2nd 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

Maybe you were unlucky? I've got one here and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Odd reboots
needed but it seems reliable. Wireless signal is good.

"Odd reboots" and "reliable" don't sit well together!

See what you mean, but by odd I mean infrequent and they were generally caused by
power dips (I'm assuming) we have from time to time in our rural location.

My Netgear DG384G is on 24/7 and (touches wooden desk), I've never had
problems past firmware v1.5.00 which had known DNS issues. I'm on the
latest official v2 software and it is all working fine.

You shouldn't have said that ;-)