DG834G probs

Old June 29th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

Default DG834G probs

Anyone had problems with the above (ver 2- white case) whereby it
spontaneously and without warning resets itself when asking for it to work.
Sitting idle it never resets. (or never seems to)

Symptoms are XP suddenly reporting netowrk cable unplugged. Disabling, then
enabling the LAN and contacting the router shows it to booting up and the
connection time back to 0.

Its 3 months old.

Time to test Ebuyers returns system do you think??

Tim..

Old June 29th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote in message
Anyone had problems with the above (ver 2- white case) whereby it
spontaneously and without warning resets itself when asking for it to

work.
Sitting idle it never resets. (or never seems to)

Symptoms are XP suddenly reporting netowrk cable unplugged. Disabling,

then
enabling the LAN and contacting the router shows it to booting up and the
connection time back to 0.

Its 3 months old.

Time to test Ebuyers returns system do you think??

PS- Frimware is 1.05.00

Tim..

Old June 30th 05, 09:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Have you also seen the router lights flashing? Are you sure its not just
the DG384G/XP connection that has "restarted" rather than the router
rebooting?

There were problems with lost DNS on this level of firmware. I don't know,
but perhaps your XP box is trying to contact someone on the web, fails and
so goes "disconnected". When you come along and notice you cycle the
connection so XP requests new info. from the DG384G and then carries on.

Try the later v2 firmware from the Netgear site (it's now official, not
beta) and see if that helps before you send it back.

Paul DS.

Old June 30th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
Have you also seen the router lights flashing? Are you sure its not just
the DG384G/XP connection that has "restarted" rather than the router
rebooting?

There were problems with lost DNS on this level of firmware. I don't

know,
but perhaps your XP box is trying to contact someone on the web, fails and
so goes "disconnected". When you come along and notice you cycle the
connection so XP requests new info. from the DG384G and then carries on.

Try the later v2 firmware from the Netgear site (it's now official, not
beta) and see if that helps before you send it back.

Cheers Paul for the info.

I've never flashed anything before in my life and am abit nervous incase I
end up with a completely dead router. Willl read up on the procedure etc
first I think. Then have a double gin & tonic!

Tim..

Old June 30th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Before you start, download the "recovery tool" the 1.5.00 firmware too,
just-in-case. FWIW, I've done this twice and it worked fine, but don't
start if there are storms in the area in case the power goes out
half-way-through (in which case you'll need the recovery tool!).

Paul DS.

Old June 30th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
Have you also seen the router lights flashing? Are you sure its not just
the DG384G/XP connection that has "restarted" rather than the router
rebooting?

There were problems with lost DNS on this level of firmware. I don't
know,
but perhaps your XP box is trying to contact someone on the web, fails and
so goes "disconnected". When you come along and notice you cycle the
connection so XP requests new info. from the DG384G and then carries on.

Try the later v2 firmware from the Netgear site (it's now official, not
beta) and see if that helps before you send it back.

Paul DS.

I have an older (physically biger unit in silver, MkI) and a white MkII
(like yours). Both run 24/7 reliably with 1.05.00 firmware.. Its worth a
try though Tim. I have also flashed both these units up to 1.05.00, with no
problems, but do get the recovery software just in case : )

Thinking about it though, why would it run 3 months without a problem if the
existing firmware was flaky? I think I might just get it replaced, and save
the risk. I flashed mine to 1.05.00 because there were issues with wireless
connections on the release that they came with. 1.05.00 is rock solid here.

Tony

Old July 1st 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

Thinking about it though, why would it run 3 months without a problem if
the
existing firmware was flaky? I think I might just get it replaced, and

save
the risk. I flashed mine to 1.05.00 because there were issues with

wireless
connections on the release that they came with. 1.05.00 is rock solid

here.

Its a fair point although I don't know quite what triggers the loss of DNS.
On my router (1.5.00 firmware), DNS access went every day which was a right
royal pain. With the latest firmware (and the earlier betas) it's been fine
for over a month now. It may be that it depends partly on the ISP to which
the router is connected so perhaps the ISP tweaked something and broke his
DNS.

Anyway, if the new firmware sorts it,he's happy, otherwise he still has the
"take it back" option.

Paul DS.