wireless - whats more reliable?

Old June 30th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mark

Default wireless - whats more reliable?

An internal wireless PCI card or a USB adaptor?

Any experiences on which type is better at picking up the signal from the
Router in a nearby room. Or are there no discernable differences?

Cheers

Old June 30th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:41:14 +0100, "mark" wrote:

An internal wireless PCI card or a USB adaptor?

the latter can be positioned for best signal, and is away from the
metal case and noisy electronics of the PC.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 1st 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

mark wrote on 6/30/2005 5:41 PM:
An internal wireless PCI card or a USB adaptor?

Any experiences on which type is better at picking up the signal from the
Router in a nearby room. Or are there no discernable differences?

Cheers

If it isnt a laptop, use HomePlug devices. HomePlug has lower latency
and you dont have the reach issues.

Jim
Old July 1st 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:59:54 -0400, Jim wrote:

HomePlug has lower latency
and you dont have the reach issues.

wireless is 1 ms. Is latency measurably different on the more
expensive HomePlug ?

Phil
Old July 1st 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Jim wrote:

If it isnt a laptop, use HomePlug devices. HomePlug has lower latency
and you dont have the reach issues.

Homeplug's speed drops from its nominal speed as you move further away.
When going up 3 floors it dropped to 2 megaBITS/sec . If I added a
short extension cable it wouldn?t connect. Nevertheless very useful
because a wireless connection didn't work, and fast enough for ADSL.
Old July 1st 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ace Internet

An internal wireless PCI card or a USB adaptor?

Any experiences on which type is better at picking up the signal from the
Router in a nearby room. Or are there no discernable differences?

I've always found the USB adaptors work much better in a weaker reception
area than PCI

Steve
Get a FREE 0870 number for your home, business or Fax2Email service
http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/telco/
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old July 1st 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

Phil Thompson wrote on 7/1/2005 3:08 AM:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:59:54 -0400, Jim wrote:

HomePlug has lower latency
and you dont have the reach issues.

wireless is 1 ms. Is latency measurably different on the more
expensive HomePlug ?

Phil

Wrong! Try more like 60-70ms for wireless where HomePlug is in the 2-4ms
range. Not to mention setting up wireless can be a royal pain in the arse.

Jim
Old July 1st 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:58:00 -0400, Jim wrote:

Wrong! Try more like 60-70ms for wireless where HomePlug is in the 2-4ms
range.

You must have been listening to a salesman, or you are one.

My wifi gear pings in the 2-3 ms range to a Win98 PC with a USB
wireless adaptor.

Last time I saw pings of 60-70 ms was when I had ISDN.

Phil
Old July 2nd 05, 02:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jim

Phil Thompson wrote on 7/1/2005 6:49 PM:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:58:00 -0400, Jim wrote:

Wrong! Try more like 60-70ms for wireless where HomePlug is in the 2-4ms
range.

You must have been listening to a salesman, or you are one.

My wifi gear pings in the 2-3 ms range to a Win98 PC with a USB
wireless adaptor.

Last time I saw pings of 60-70 ms was when I had ISDN.

Phil

Thats great news. What happens when you start adding additional data on
the line? What happens when your reach isn't so great?

Why arent they using 802.11 for IPTV? Packet Loss!! All of the sub 1ms
data comes from datasheets and product literature or setups with ideal
conditions.

It has nothing to do with sales, but technical reality.

Jim
Old July 2nd 05, 03:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Phil Thompson wrote:

My wifi gear pings in the 2-3 ms range to a Win98 PC with a USB
wireless adaptor.

My wifi gear pings in the 3-7 ms range to a WinXP PC with a USB
802.11b (11megaBIT/sec, I.e., slow) wireless adaptor. (only one of 8
pings was 5 ms)