pins gone pong

Old July 2nd 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Pykett

Default pins gone pong

I have a network problem that has got me scratching my head!
setup:
broadband router/modem
switch
3 computers on lan

I can ping between all computers successfully but one machine can't ping
the default gateway and ca'n access the internet on this machine. The
network cards must all be working. The router must be working, cables
must all be fine so what is going wrong?

It's got me stumped

Pip
Old July 2nd 05, 04:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:58:45 +0000 (UTC), Phil Pykett
wrote:

and ca'n access the internet

?
can
or can't

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 2nd 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:42:25 +0000 (UTC), Phil Pykett
wrote:

Anyway wouldn't ping still work as I
am pinging (129.168.1.1) the network side of the router not its outgoing
ip.

192 ?? need to brush up the typing if you're going to solve this !!

what is the IP, default gateway and subnet mask of the offending PC,
how does it compare with a working one.

Phil
Old July 2nd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Steele

"Phil Pykett" wrote in message
m...
I have a network problem that has got me scratching my head!
setup:
broadband router/modem
switch
3 computers on lan

I can ping between all computers successfully but one machine can't ping
the default gateway and ca'n access the internet on this machine. The
network cards must all be working. The router must be working, cables
must all be fine so what is going wrong?

Have you checked your subnet mask on all the computers and the router? An
error here can cause all sorts of confusing behaviour (bitter experience!).

John Steele

Old July 3rd 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pip

wrote:

Anyway wouldn't ping still work as I
am pinging (129.168.1.1) the network side of the router not its outgoing
ip.

192 ?? need to brush up the typing if you're going to solve this !!

what is the IP, default gateway and subnet mask of the offending PC,
how does it compare with a working one.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

have swapped newsreaders (from gravity back to outlook) and have found the
posting that I thought I had lost.

I have changed the ip from a static to a dns and gues what? it works!!
I was using:
192.168.1.7
and subnet of 255.255.255.0
dg 192.168.1.1
this setting has worked fine ever since I originally set it up. Can't see
what is wrong with it, can't see why it would stop working and certainly
can't see how I could manage to ping other IP's but not the gateway.

As it now works I will simply accept the situation and get with my typoing
leasoons

Thanks for your help Phil

Pip

Old July 3rd 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:59:06 +0000 (UTC), "Pip"
wrote:

I have changed the ip from a static to a dns

static to *dynamic* perhaps? :-)

usually this means you had an error in your static setup that is
solved by using dhcp. One of the advantages of dhcp is that you only
have to get it right once (and that's usually done for you).

Phil
Old July 3rd 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"Pip" says...

wrote:

Anyway wouldn't ping still work as I
am pinging (129.168.1.1) the network side of the router not its outgoing
ip.

192 ?? need to brush up the typing if you're going to solve this !!

what is the IP, default gateway and subnet mask of the offending PC,
how does it compare with a working one.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

have swapped newsreaders (from gravity back to outlook) and have found the
posting that I thought I had lost.

I have changed the ip from a static to a dns

ITYM DHCP