setting up a printer sharing

Old July 2nd 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
wps

Default setting up a printer sharing

Ok I have a blueyonder broadband account with Motorola modem I have set up a
Netgear FSV318 VPN firewall, my main pc is connected via cable to this and
all other internet access is done via a netgear wifi access point (WG602)
also connected by cable to the FSV318.

Internet works fine from any wifi device and the main pc, what I would like
to do is to be able to use the main pc's printer from any wifi device.
Basically set up a LAN so computers can share files and printer.

Any tips on how I can do this with messing up my internet connection?

Pc's running windows XP service pack 1

Old July 2nd 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"wps" wrote in message
. uk...
Ok I have a blueyonder broadband account with Motorola modem I have set up
Netgear FSV318 VPN firewall, my main pc is connected via cable to this and
all other internet access is done via a netgear wifi access point (WG602)
also connected by cable to the FSV318.

Internet works fine from any wifi device and the main pc, what I would
like
to do is to be able to use the main pc's printer from any wifi device.
Basically set up a LAN so computers can share files and printer.

Any tips on how I can do this with messing up my internet connection?

You don't say whether it's XP Home or XP Professional. If it's Home, things
are slightly easier; if it's Pro you may need to create a user with the same
name and password on all the PCs in order for file/printer sharing to work.

I'm not familiar with this particular router/firewall, but I would imagine
that it will treat all the addresses on the private side (eg 192.168.0.x) as
"friendly" and will not apply firewall rules to PC-to-PC traffic. If not,
you may need to configure a rule that allows all 192.168.0.x PCs to talk -
you'll need to look in the router manual for details of how to do this.

Then you right-click on the printer device on the PC that has the printer
connected to it and select Sharing. You want to Share This Printer -
probably accept the default name that it gives you.

Now on the other PCs that want to use this shared printer, go to Printers
and Faxes and select Add New Printer. Choose Network Printer and then
Connect To This Printer. Fill in the path to the printer as
\\pc-name\printer - so if the main PC is called FRED and you shared the
printer as HPDJ970, then the path would be \\fred\hpdj970. Press OK. It will
probably take a couple of minutes to add the queue because the driver will
probably be downloaded from the main PC to the wireless PC.

If it fails to find the queue, check that you have connectivity:

- open a CMD prompt (Start | Run | cmd) on each PC
- ping wireless_pc (eg 192.168.0.3) - do this at the main PC
- ping main_pc (eg 192.168.0.2) - do this at the wireless PC
- assuming these work, try net view \\wireless_pc (from main) and net view
\\main_pc (from wireless)

Old July 3rd 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:46:33 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

if it's Pro you may need to create a user with the same
name and password on all the PCs in order for file/printer sharing to work.

Just need to change security permissions IIRC.

--
Cheers,

Guy