URL logging

Old July 6th 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default URL logging

An incident at home has pushed me into logging URLs accessed from a couple
of computers on a home network.

Is there any freeware which may do this?

Just the URLs and time and dates that have been accessed is all I need.
Essentially to either catch which of the blighters is subscribing a phone to
have sums of money extracted from it or to see if there is something even
more sinister happening.

My only next concern is if one PC will see all of the traffic or just put
logging software on each of them? I'm using a Dreytek router I assume is a
ethernet switch rather than a hub!

Old July 6th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
abc

"Fred" wrote in message
An incident at home has pushed me into logging URLs accessed from a couple
of computers on a home network.

Is there any freeware which may do this?

Just the URLs and time and dates that have been accessed is all I need.
Essentially to either catch which of the blighters is subscribing a phone
to have sums of money extracted from it or to see if there is something
even more sinister happening.

My only next concern is if one PC will see all of the traffic or just put
logging software on each of them? I'm using a Dreytek router I assume is
a ethernet switch rather than a hub!
I don't know if you have a spare PC to hand (can be an old 486 or P1). If
so, you can install IPCOP and it will log all network traffic using your
link.

I installed IPCOP on an old laptop and runs linke a dream. It logs all URLs
typed and does URL filtering (blocks warez/porn/gambling sites).
It's setup as follows:

PCs (wired and wireless) Linksys wireless router Ipcop machine cable
modem.

Old July 8th 05, 02:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"abc" wrote in message
k...

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at www.ipcop.org However, this is
really for a dedicated PC and is really a firewall with added features. I
need a WinXP based system which can log URLs etc accessed on that PC as well
as possibly other PCs on the network.

Old July 8th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Rance

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 Fred wrote:

[...]

Why not try http://extreme-dm.com/tracking/

You can get all sorts of reports of visitors to your website. I've used
it for several months now.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old July 8th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Fred"
says...

"abc" wrote in message
k...

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Why? You can get an old PC that will run IPCOP for next to nothing,
and it will do all you need and more.