VNC to NTL Cbale Modem customer

Old July 7th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

Default VNC to NTL Cbale Modem customer

Bloody NTL!

I'm trying to VNC into my mums machine.

The IP address reported by VNC server is different to the IP reported by
www.whatismyipaddress.com

I tried both and neither worked (Zonealarm shut down, windows firewall
off)

Do NTL block these things or something?
--
Regards
Jon
Old July 8th 05, 12:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Jon wrote:
Bloody NTL!

I'm trying to VNC into my mums machine.

The IP address reported by VNC server is different to the IP reported by
www.whatismyipaddress.com

I tried both and neither worked (Zonealarm shut down, windows firewall
off)

Do NTL block these things or something?

I am with NTL and I've used VNC successfully.

Describe your setups. Are there any routers involved, for instance?
A bit of information would help someone to help you.
Old July 8th 05, 01:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Jon"
says...
Bloody NTL!

I'm trying to VNC into my mums machine.

The IP address reported by VNC server is different to the IP reported by
www.whatismyipaddress.com

I tried both and neither worked (Zonealarm shut down, windows firewall
off)

Do NTL block these things or something?

The address reported by www.whatismyipaddress.com is the ntl web
cache that you're connecting through, not the address of your
machine. What do you mean by "The IP address reported by VNC
server"? Is this on the local or remote machine? How are you trying
to connect? Which version of VNC?
Old July 8th 05, 07:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

declared for all the world to hear...
The address reported by
www.whatismyipaddress.com is the ntl web
cache that you're connecting through, not the address of your
machine. What do you mean by "The IP address reported by VNC
server"?

When you hover the mouse over the VNC icon in the system tray it pops up
your IP for a few seconds. The same IP is reported in network
connections.

Is this on the local or remote machine?

I suppose it was the remote machine since that what I was trying to
reach.

How are you trying to connect?

Using my pocket PC phone and my own PC.

Which version of VNC?

TightVNC from www.tightvnc.com
--
Regards
Jon
Old July 8th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 8 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Jon
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

My mums PC is a connected to a standalone cable modem via ethernet. It
runs XP SP2 fully patched. Zonealarm Pro and Norton 2005 are installed.

Well, my first action would be to wipe Norton from the machine, and never
reinstall it. It causes more problems than it prevents, in my experience.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk
Old July 8th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 8 Jul 2005 07:28, Jon wrote:

Is this on the local or remote machine?

I suppose it was the remote machine since that what I was trying to
reach.

Is there a chance that Windows XP's firewall is blocking the incoming
request ? If Zone Alarm is on, does it report attempts (sorry, never
tried that one, using Kerio firewall on one PC, and Tiny Software (it
is the version Kerio's v2.15 one was based on) on another and use VNC
OK, but via ADSL and routers to other locations). Peter M.

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old July 8th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 8 Jul 2005 18:55, Jon wrote:

If Zone Alarm is on

It isn't. I shut it down.

I've seen other comments which (from memory) suggested that was not always
enough. As I indicated earlier, I've never used it myself to know (but as
a result of comments I've seen posted, have no special wish to try it :-)

Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,
with IMAP / POP / SMTP (not locked to port 25) facilities.

USENET news service ? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old July 9th 05, 02:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

Brian wrote, re VNC in listen mode:

You just have to run the viewer in "Listen" mode, and
configure your NAT/Firewall/router to leave port 5800 alone.

Port 5500 surely (unless you use a non-default value).
UltraVNC is another VNC customised for Windows. I haven't worked enough
with TightVNC to be able to compare.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem