Ethernet/USB Modem Question

Old July 8th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NastyNiff

Default Ethernet/USB Modem Question

Hi

I have a friend who has a desktop pc connected to a USB broadband modem. He
has just bought a wireless laptop and wants me to set up the wireless
network between his desktop pc located in a separate building out the back
and his laptop which he will be able to use in his house.

I've suggested the following:-

Wireless Desktop Adapter
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...hopGro upID=8

Wireless Router
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...opG roupID=38

The wireless router requires an external Ethernet broadband modem. The ADSL
modem is USB so can I just connect the router to the pc via an Ethernet
cable and lan card?

I assume I could get a combined modem/router but this requires extra info
from the ISP I believe which I'd rather avoid if possible. Try to keep it
simple.

Does the above look ok?

Thanks

Niff

Old July 8th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
NastyNiff says...
[...]

No, it is making a very very simple thing very complicated and TBH I
don;t think you'll get it all working. Get a wireless ADSL Modem Router
and have done with it. It needs no extra settings from the ISP above
those needed for the connection settings of the USB modem.

--
Conor

Old July 8th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NastyNiff

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Ok thanks Conor.

Will this do the job then?

http://tinyurl.com/aohpx

I preferred the other one because it had the AOSS feature which this one
does not appear to have.

Thanks again.

Old July 10th 05, 01:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

NastyNiff wrote:

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
NastyNiff says...
Hi

I have a friend who has a desktop pc connected to a USB broadband
modem. He has just bought a wireless laptop and wants me to set
up the wireless network between his desktop pc located in a
separate building out the back and his laptop which he will be
able to use in his house.

I've suggested the following:-

Wireless Desktop Adapter
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=59&
ProductID=722&ShopGroupID=8

Wireless Router
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=1956
&CategoryID=123&ShopGroupID=38

[...]

YEah that's the kindd of thing. Also have a look at the Netgear DG834GT