Any point getting an ADSL modem or should I get a router

Old July 10th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
thisisme

Default Any point getting an ADSL modem or should I get a router

I've just bought the F5D8230 MIMO wireless router from Belkin which didn't
come with an integrated modem but I really needed its unrivalled coverage. I
now need to get an ADSL modem as mine is USB but the cheapest one is 30,
whereas you can get a router with integrated modem for 40 and a wireless
router for 45! Is an ADSL modem just completely worthless in that at least
you've got something useful by having a spare/backup/additional router!

Old July 11th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

One reason to get an ADSL modem might be if you want VoIP. To protect the
VoIP traffic from being swamped (with loss of sound) by web surfing (for
example) such an "ideal" setup has the following.

ASDL modem -- VoIP ATA -- Router -- PCS

Phone

The ATA then gives the VoIP traffic an advantage over everything from the
PCs.

Otherwise, as you say, the prices are so close as to make "separates" a
waste of time.

Paul DS.