AOL - Correct Win98 setting for router config

Old July 11th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
ComPCs

Default AOL - Correct Win98 setting for router config

I'm trying to sort out an issue on a Win98 machine connected to AOL via
a D-link DSL-504T router.

The setup has previously worked, so I know it *does* work, but for some
reason it has stopped working. The MRU is set to 1400 on the router, and
I have NAT in use.

On my version, there is no MTU settings as per that at
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504t/DSL-
504T_Install_Guides.pdf (watch the wrap)

The router shows as connected to DSL, but when I go to load a web page
in IE, I get the "page cannot be displayed" DNS error 'type' page.

I can log into the router from the PC, so I know communication is fine,
but I cannot ping anything beyond the router. I have also tried to
Tracert with no result.

I have the router set up for DHCP, so it is assigning an IP address to
the PC, but I'm not sure what other settings in Win98 are actually
required.

I have IP automatically assigned, I have the gateway set as the router
IP (192.168.1.1) I have DHCP for Wins Resolution turned on.

I think it is a DNS issue, but i'm not sure what to put in the "host"
field in the config dialogue, or if the router IP (192.168.1.1) is the
DNS server address. There seems nowhere in the router setup to enter DNS
anyway ... is this my problem, that i'm telling the PC to look to the
router for DNS?

The AOL service is the Silver package which doesn't allow multiple
logins, but the user isn't using AOL software at all, simply Internet
Explorer and logging in via webmail for email - well, they were.

Help greatly received TIA

Old July 12th 05, 12:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"ComPCs" wrote in message
t...
:
: I'm trying to sort out an issue on a Win98 machine connected to AOL via
: a D-link DSL-504T router.
:
: The setup has previously worked, so I know it *does* work, but for some
: reason it has stopped working. The MRU is set to 1400 on the router, and
: I have NAT in use.
:
: On my version, there is no MTU settings as per that at
: ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504t/DSL-
: 504T_Install_Guides.pdf (watch the wrap)
snip

setup

DNS Configuration

Use user discovered DNS server only

Preferred DNS Server (as ISP)

Alternate DNS Server (as ISP)

Apply

The go to tools

System Commands

Save all

then

Restart

Al should be well now...

Chris
kick-butt.co.uk

Old July 15th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
George

"ComPCs" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Make sure that Windows DNS settings are set to automatic. I work for AOL
tech support, and we don't even know the DNS servers to point to. We get
more folk with D-link routers asking for DNS addresses than anybody else
for some reason. D-Link tech support seem to blame a multitude of
problems on DNS. Do you have another computer that you could try to
connect with, or does your routers config page have a ping tool (some of
them have)? If so, see if you can contact the outside world

I think that router is definitly connected to DSL...BUT it may not be
esablishing a PPP connection. Check that the authentication is passing.
Also call AOL on 0800 376 4406 - they won't be able to give any support
with your hardware at all, but they will be able to tell you if the
router is online.

Also, you mention you can't ping past the router. Are you pinging domain
names or external IP addresses. (Google.com's is 216.239.39.99) If you
can't ping an external IP, then I don't think there is a DNS problem -
the router is probably not connected to AOL. If you can, then you
probably either have a DNS problem or need a Winsock fix.

Reasons why you wouldn't make a PPP connection -

Wrong login - (all lower case)
Wrong password - passwords for router connections have to be between 6-8
characters
Wrong protocol - make sure it is PPPoA (VC) (AOL are moving to PPPoE for
modem connections, but are staying with PPPoA for routers)

Please note, this is not an official AOL post, and I give no warranties
etc!!! I've added the generic router settings to bottom of this. I'm
sure you've seen it before!

Generic Router Settings
AOL now supports the use of ADSL router on your Broadband connection,
which allows the sharing of a single DSL line simultaneously between
multiple computers.

AOL can provide no further assistance or support while you are setting
up or troubleshooting any issues you may have with your broadband
router, apart from the settings listed below.

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details
that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the
hardware setup you have, the method for entering these details will
differ. However it is likely you will be prompted to enter them during
the installation of your router.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these
details for you, so it is possible that you will not be prompted for
them at all. In other cases the naming of the options will be different
so it is advised that if you have problems, please refer to the
documentation included with your DSL router. Below are all the
essential settings that AOL use to setup Broadband Routers.

Depending on your router some of these settings may be named
differently, please consult your routers documentation if your require
assistance when setting it up.

Settings:
Connection Protocol: PPPoA (VCMUX or VCBASED)
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
(VPI/VCI): 0,38
Authentication: CHAP

The Following settings are set to automatic or get automatically from
ISP,
On some routers you may have to leave these fields blank:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit): 1400
MRU (Maximum Receive Unit): 1400

Username: your

Password: your password

Important Information about your username/password settings:
Screen Name Information:
We recommend that you create a new Screen Name which your router can use
to connect to AOL - because if you use an existing Screen Name from
another location, your router will lose its connection to AOL.

When entering your screen name/username on your router it must follow
the four rules below:
1. You must enter your Screen Name in lowercase letters
2. Your Screen Name must be in the format of your AOL e-mail address,
i.e.: your

3. Your Screen Name must not contain any spaces
4. The Screen Name must have General (18+) Parental Controls access (not
Mature Teen, Young Teen or Kids Only)

Please note that the new Screen Name you create should use a password
that follows the three rules in the next section.

Password Information:
When entering your password on your router it must follow the three
rules below:
1. The password must be between Six to Eight characters long (i.e.: if
it has nine characters you will need to change it)
2. The password must consist of letters and numbers only (i.e. no
special characters, such as ! ? % and spaces).
3. The password must be all lower case (no CAPITALS allowed).

Kind Regards,
AOL Tech Support