HELP with installing network printer

Old July 12th 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default HELP with installing network printer

Can any one help me with installation of a netwrok printer?

I have an HP 4500N printer. It has a Jetdirect printer server J3111A
inside.

I have connected it to a lan switch. Also connected to the lan switch is my
laptop. I was told I have to use a switch, as I dont have a crossover
cable.

I then tried to use Jet Web Admin to find the netwrok printer, but it cannot
find it.

I also tried to open dos window and tried to ping the ip address and no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Rohit

Old July 13th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
MAC

Hi,

Could be...

1) The IP on the printer is wrong. Can you see it through a test
print?
2) The cable connected to the printer is faulty (unlikely). When you
turn the printer on does the light on your switch flash a couple of
times (not a full test, but gives some hope!)
3) The printer and your PC are on different subnets (if you are
10.0.0.5 then your printer needs to be 10.0.0.X (where X is 1-254 but
excluding 5). This is a simple example, subnets can be bigger or
smaller, but this is n't the time nor place. My guess is you are
10.0.0.x and your printer is 192.168.0.X or something similar.

Hope that helps

MAC

Old July 13th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks Mac for the helpful advice. I have now configured the printer/laptop
to the following settings:

Laptop Printer

IP Address 192.168.4.210 192.168.4.200
Sub-net 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
Def.Gateway 192.168.4.2 192.168.4.2

LG syslog server IP (do not know what this is or what it should be set to).
Currently set to default 0.0.0.0 on printer .

Tried to ping again. NO luck. Tried to find usind Web Jet admin. No luck.

The green light on the swith is on (does not flash when connected though).

PS. The jetdirect card in the printer is 10Mb where ar the laptop is
running 10/100Mb. Can this be the cause? If so, is it possible to resolve
this by setting laptop to 10 Mb?

Thanks
Rohit

news:[email protected] usenet...

Old July 13th 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

1. The switch is PC Line Fast Ethernet Switch 10/100 Mbps. I dont know
whether it auto switches but I assume so as there is nothing one can set!

2. TCP/IP is enabled on the printer

3. I agree that Jetadmin is an overkill. What is the simplest way to
install the printer server without jetadmin.

4. On the laptop, I was not sure what printer driver to install, there are
so many on the HP website. I have just taken 1 at random! PCL5 mobile. Is
this ok?

Many thanks

Rohit

"Bob Lawn" wrote in message
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article [email protected] ews,
" says...
snip
PS. The jetdirect card in the printer is 10Mb where ar the laptop is
running 10/100Mb. Can this be the cause? If so, is it possible to
resolve
this by setting laptop to 10 Mb?

The switch should auto-negotiate the correct speed for each
connection, so that shouldn't be a problem. You could try forcing
the laptop to 10Mb/s half-duplex to see if that helps.

does your switch definitely support both 10 and 100 mbs? (some are 100 mbs
only.)
if so, does it autoswitch as necessary?
i believe you can also cause web jetadmin to search for a hardware address
(i.e. ethernet address) - you can get this from the printer's config page.
are you sure tcp is *enabled* on the printer?
web jetadmin is overkill for a single printer; hp also had a much smaller
thing called 'network printer install' which also searches, or you can
give it an ip or ethernet address.
i always found this worked well.
setting the laptop to 10 mbs won't help - the switch should handle the
speed adjustment.
syslog sends printer errors to a syslog server - not relevant here.
looks like the switch ...

bob

Old July 13th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bob Lawn

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
1. The switch is PC Line Fast Ethernet Switch 10/100 Mbps. I dont know
whether it auto switches but I assume so as there is nothing one can set!

looks ok
2. TCP/IP is enabled on the printer

3. I agree that Jetadmin is an overkill. What is the simplest way to
install the printer server without jetadmin.

on hp's web site there should be a thing called 'network printer install' -
at least, there used to be
it was 4 mbs or so, compared with web jetadmin 20 megs
this is it:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...2Fhpjsi_en.exe
4. On the laptop, I was not sure what printer driver to install, there
are so many on the HP website. I have just taken 1 at random! PCL5
mobile. Is this ok?

Many thanks

on hp's web site it should be possible to download a pcl5 driver
specifically for 4500N.
looks like this one:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...kxp2003-en.exe

but in any case basic ping should work from laptop.
is anything else plugged into the switch with which you could confirm that
pinging from the laptop actually works?

bob

Old July 13th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

There is satellite broadband LAN plugging into the switch. The laptop
happily communicates with that.

I am waiting for a crossover cable I just purchased to see if I can bypass
the switch and connect the laptop directly to the printer.

I will keep you posted.

Many thanks
Rohit

Old July 14th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Bob Lawn" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I replaced the 10Mb jetdirect with 10/100Mb. Still no luck.

HOWEVER I decided to take Bobs advice

I decided to uninstall jet web admin and use network install wizard instead.

It found the printer straight away.

I dont understand this but atleast I am now sorted.

Thank everyone for your help.

Rohit