ICS port questions

Old July 13th 05, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Daniel

Default ICS port questions

hi all

i have ADSL (plusnet) shared over a peer 2 peer wireless lan and it works
fine, thing is on the client pc on the network is given ip 192.168.0.51 via
DHCP i want to setup port 4001 on tcp/udp for the client pc, my router/modem
a Voyager 205 has options for NAT virtual server but i cannot figure out
what settings i put in there as the adsl modem is on network ip 192.168.1.1

the settings the voyager modem asks for are

Rule flavor - of which you select Virtual server or DMZ
Rule ID - which i have been told is 54 onwards
Protocal - you are able to specifiy TCP and UDP in there
LAN IP - the IP of the pc you want to access the port i assume
Destination port - port entry box
Local Port - port entry box

the thing is, to the client the adsl is on network 192.168.1.xxx and the
client is on network ip 192.168.0.xxx and i have tried to just enter the ip
of the client as assigned by DHCP of 192.168.0.51 but the program can still
not access the port, what am i doing wrong??

thank you for any replies

Dan

Old July 13th 05, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article ,
"Daniel" wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure that I understand your setup -- your message subject
mentions "ICS", but the message body doesn't.

Do I assume correctly that you've connected the ADSL modem to one
computer and that you're using ICS on that computer to share the
connection with the computer that you call the "client pc"?

If that's right, you need to get packets that originate on the
Internet to pass through the ADSL modem to the host computer and then
to pass through the host computer to the client computer. That can be
done, but it's not easy.

Here's one way to do it:

1. Assign a static IP address (such as 192.168.1.2) to the host
computer's connection to the ADSL modem. You'll also need to assign
the subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses that the
host computer now gets from the ADSL modem's DHCP server.

2. Enable port forwarding on the ADSL modem:

Rule flavor - Virtual server
Rule ID - 54 onwards
Protocol - TCP and UDP
LAN IP - 192.168.1.2 (the host's Internet connection)
Destination port - 4001
Local Port - 4001

3. Assign a static IP address (such as 192.168.0.2) to the client
computer's wireless connection. You'll also need to assign the subnet
mask, default gateway, and DNS server addresses that the client
computer now gets from the host computer's DHCP server.

4. Enable port forwarding on the host computer's firewall:

Rule flavor - Virtual server
Rule ID - whatever you want
Protocol - TCP and UDP
LAN IP - 192.168.0.2 (the client's LAN connection)
Destination port - 4001
Local Port - 4001
--
Best Wishes,