Belkin Wireless Router Connection Problems/Hanging/Freezing

Old July 13th 05, 09:49 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Clancy

Default Belkin Wireless Router Connection Problems/Hanging/Freezing

Hi,

I have a problem with my Belkin Wireless Router (f5d7632uk4), and am hoping
someone out there can help me. It slows down to a halt daily, to a point
that I cant even connect to it via ethernet until I unplug it and start all
over.

I have read this is something to do with the security log growing too big,
but it only ever shows 30 lines of the log, and clearing it doesn't help.
(It's exactly the same problem as this guy is having:
http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...?TID=3198&PN=1)

I don't believe it is a security problem - it is simply that the security
log on the router fills up to a point (where it is preventing access
correctly) that its too large and takes up all the memory of the thing.

Any other ideas? It's definitely a problem with the router - even if there
is some 'security problem' going on, I rather the router doesn't just stop.
I've got everything covered to my satisfaction security-wise.

Cheers,
Andy

Old July 13th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 13 Jul 2005 19:49 GMT, "Andrew Clancy" wrote:

It slows down to a halt daily, to a point that I cant even connect to
it via ethernet until I unplug it and start all over.

I have read this is something to do with the security log growing ...

Any other ideas? It's definitely a problem with the router - even if there
is some 'security problem' going on, I rather the router doesn't just stop.

On the assumption you are using NAT, and possibly software firewalls on PCs
on your LAN, can you not try disabling the security logging on the Belkin
(or delete some of the rules you have which might cause log entries) ?

I've not had "hands on" with that model, but an earlier one, and my friend
has had no similar problems, but we're not using any security feature that
might cause log entries on the router... he doesn't know how to view the
router setup (and works away part of most weeks) and just wants family to
have internet access from the various family PCs, and they'd scream if it
ground to a halt every day...

One other aspect - do you happen to use peer-to-peer applications ? Just
asking because that has been known to cause problems... seems quite a few
routers cannot cope with the possibility that huge numbers of connections
may be taking place. Neither I nor my friends use peer-to-peer so we've
perhaps had no problems as a result of the type of use in our households.

USENET news service? http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4 (plans from under US$5)
Old July 13th 05, 11:22 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Duane Arnold

Andrew Clancy wrote:

[...]

You should get on the phone with Belkin about the problem with the router.

Duane

Old July 14th 05, 12:45 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Andrew Clancy
says...
Hi,

I have a problem with my Belkin Wireless Router (f5d7632uk4), and am hoping
someone out there can help me. It slows down to a halt daily, to a point
that I cant even connect to it via ethernet until I unplug it and start all
over.

I went through three in 5 months - all the same problem. Eventually
after the third I got so ****ed off that I got a refund and bought a
Netgear.

--
Conor

Old July 14th 05, 02:50 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.internet.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,uk.comp.home-networking
pcbutts1

Conor wrote:

I went through three in 5 months - all the same problem.

I don't care about your problems.

Eventually after the third I got so ****ed off that I got a refund and
bought a Netgear.

Do you have a bad temper?

Old July 15th 05, 12:42 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 14 Jul 2005 06:50 -0600, pcbutts1 wrote:

Do you have a bad temper?

No, seems like quite a bit of patience, having tried more than 2 units
before changing to another manufacturer's equipment. Peter M.