Direct Cable Connection + XP - W95

Old July 13th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Al Reeve

Default Direct Cable Connection + XP - W95

Hi all,
not the usual that is discussed here, but networking nonetheless. I am
trying to connect a W95 box with a XP one. The rules I have prevent me from
opening the W95 box to add or remove anything so I am reduced to a direct
serial cable connection.
I've tried to establish a connection from both ends, installed IPX/SPX on
the XP box, enabled guest, file and printer sharing, shared some folders but
still unable to get a connection.
has anyone any other solutions?

Al Reeve

Old July 14th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Al Reeve

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Al
Reeve" says...
Hi all,
not the usual that is discussed here, but networking nonetheless. I am
trying to connect a W95 box with a XP one. The rules I have prevent me
from
opening the W95 box to add or remove anything so I am reduced to a direct
serial cable connection.
I've tried to establish a connection from both ends, installed IPX/SPX on
the XP box, enabled guest, file and printer sharing, shared some folders
but
still unable to get a connection.
has anyone any other solutions?

Have you checked that the cable is good, and that it's a null-modem
rather than straight-through?
Are both the serial ports working okay (enabled in BIOS, recognized
by Windows, set at the same speed, word size, parity etc.)? Try
connecting something else (mouse, modem) to them and see if it works.
Have you configured any firewalls?

Thanks for the list Rob, all good stuff. The cable gets my vote as most
likely the problem, it came from a UPS so is an unknown quantity. As for
the rest, we don't have any other serial device to connect, but all ports
are enabled, recognised, matched etc and firewalls off. The machine is
going to IT tomorrow I think with a demand for them to get the data off to
medium we can import onto the new system with. Cheers, Al

Old July 14th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Rance

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 Al Reeve wrote:

[...]

Swap pins 2 and 3 on one end of the serial cable to make a null modem.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old July 14th 05, 11:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

Al Reeve wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
[...]

Serial cables for UPSs are non-standard, or at least the APC ones are.
I would try another cable.