Cannot setup file/printer sharing

Old July 16th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

Default Cannot setup file/printer sharing

I have 2 PCs. PC1 connected directly to a Belkin Modem/Router F5D7630-4A via
wired LAN. PC2 uses a wireless card to share internet connection with PC1.
All worksOK so far.

PC1 is also connected (via USB) to a printer that I wish to share with PC2.
I also wish to be able for each PC to see the other's hard drive.

Both PCs run XP home SP2. PC1 with PC-Cillin, PC2 with Symantec Internet
Security 2005. I disabled both when trying to set this up. I also disabled
XP firewall on both. I set up the printer and the relevant folderson each
HDD to be shared.

I followed the instructions here
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...e-xp.asp#winxp, but I still
cannot see one PC from the other.

Any idea what am I missing?

TIA.

J.

Old July 16th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...
[...]

Have you enabled the Guest account on both PCs?

I am not really sure why this is necessary...

I don't want a fully fledged network, just to be able to see the printer
from PC2, and to be able to map a cople fo folders on one PC from the
other.

Old July 16th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...
[...]

PS: ... forgot ot mention that I had this up and running until I had to
re-install the wireless card driver which caused all my settings to be lost.

Old July 16th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"JoeJoe"
says...
[...]

So you want a remote user to be able to read/modify/delete files, but
don't think that they should require user privileges to do it?

Old July 16th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
"JoeJoe"
says...
[...]

Well, I am no expert, and have never claimed to be. All I was suggesting
was that I had the same desired setup up and running in the past without
having to set up a guest account on either PC.

Old July 16th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

JoeJoe wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

[...]

I don't think you need the Guest account. In networking terms I think
that is only relevant to XP Pro file sharing. XP Home just makes all
shares available to everyone.
There's a good resource for XP networking he
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm

What is not working with your network? Have you check the TCP/IP setup,
workgroup name, etc? Try to give a bit more detail on the problem.

Old July 16th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

"John Fryatt" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

[...]

That sounds more familiar...

The problem is that neither PC can see the other one.
Workgroup name is the same on both.
I set up TCP/IP as suggested in the tutorial in the link above.

Feel free to ask any specific question.

TIA

Old July 17th 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Fryatt

JoeJoe wrote:
"John Fryatt" wrote in message

JoeJoe wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
.net...

In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

[...]

Caveat: I'm not an expert and these things are a bit tricky when not
'hands-on' but let's see...

Can you list the settings on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Propertieds
window, and also those on all four tabs of the Advanced TCP/IP Settings
window.
Also list the entries in the Local Connection Properties window.
Start a Command Prompt session on each machine and...
a) Run IPCONFIG and note what it says
b) Run PING ..... - where .... is the IP address of the other machine,
as seen in IPCONFIG output

Other things...
You do have at least one share set up on both machines - yes?
Try mapping a drive to a share on the other machine (under Tools in
Explorer).

Not sure what all the above will yield, just gathering info.

There's a resource here for this problem, might be worth going through:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page6.php

Old July 18th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
JoeJoe

JoeJoe wrote:
"John Fryatt" wrote in message

JoeJoe wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
l.net...

In article ,
"JoeJoe" says...

[...]

Just ,managed to get to the bottom of this - it was a corrupt config file
for PC-Cillin that messed up my firewall setting and prevented connection.
Re-install solved everything.

Many thanks again for all the suggestions.

Old July 25th 05, 01:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

JoeJoe wrote:

I don't think you need the Guest account. In networking terms I think that
is only relevant to XP Pro file sharing. XP Home just makes all shares
available to everyone.

Is it not the other way round? Is the guest account only relevent to XP home
or Pro with simple file sharing? Doesnt XP home use the Guest account to
*make* the shares available to everyone?

Gaz