Cannot Install PCMCIA network card

Old July 16th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

Default Cannot Install PCMCIA network card

I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT running XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

When I put my netgear FA 410TX (PCMCIA card 10/100 Mb Ethernet) into the
PCMCIA slot, the PC recognises the card and installs the driver, but then
reports a hardware problem. The lights come on and then go off.

I know the card works beacause I used it prior to and post this problem in
my IBM laptop.

I know the PCMCIA slot works because I plugged my wireless LAN card prior
and post this problem.

I tried to install in my second identical laptop ( Toshiba Portege 3440CT
running XP Pro SP2 with all updates) and I have exactly the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is?

Many Thanks in advance.

Rohit.

Old July 16th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Ted

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT running XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

When I put my netgear FA 410TX (PCMCIA card 10/100 Mb Ethernet) into the
PCMCIA slot, the PC recognises the card and installs the driver, but then
reports a hardware problem. The lights come on and then go off.

I know the card works beacause I used it prior to and post this problem in
my IBM laptop.

I know the PCMCIA slot works because I plugged my wireless LAN card prior
and post this problem.

I tried to install in my second identical laptop ( Toshiba Portege 3440CT
running XP Pro SP2 with all updates) and I have exactly the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is?

Many Thanks in advance.

Rohit.

have you tried it with Firewire disabled.

Old July 16th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"Ted" wrote in message

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT running XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

When I put my netgear FA 410TX (PCMCIA card 10/100 Mb Ethernet) into the
PCMCIA slot, the PC recognises the card and installs the driver, but then
reports a hardware problem. The lights come on and then go off.

I know the card works beacause I used it prior to and post this problem
in my IBM laptop.

I know the PCMCIA slot works because I plugged my wireless LAN card prior
and post this problem.

I tried to install in my second identical laptop ( Toshiba Portege 3440CT
running XP Pro SP2 with all updates) and I have exactly the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is?

Many Thanks in advance.

Rohit.

have you tried it with Firewire disabled.

Yes, with the same result.

Rohit

Old July 16th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Rusty

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have a Toshiba Portege 3440CT running XP Pro SP2 with all updates.

When I put my netgear FA 410TX (PCMCIA card 10/100 Mb Ethernet) into the
PCMCIA slot, the PC recognises the card and installs the driver, but then
reports a hardware problem. The lights come on and then go off.

I know the card works beacause I used it prior to and post this problem in
my IBM laptop.

I know the PCMCIA slot works because I plugged my wireless LAN card prior
and post this problem.

I tried to install in my second identical laptop ( Toshiba Portege 3440CT
running XP Pro SP2 with all updates) and I have exactly the same problem.

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is?

I've installed both types on an old HP Presario.
Is there a 16/32 bit conflict between cards and slot, ie PCMCIA types I and
II.
Is the firewall disabled.

Rusty.

Old July 16th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"Rusty" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

In the device manager, this is what I see:

'This device cannot start (Code 10).

Firewall has been disabled.

I am not too computer literate to understand the conflicts you refer to.

Rohit

Old July 16th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Rusty

"Rusty" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

The older cards were 16 bit back beyond about 2000 AD which may conflict
with a newer 32 bit slot. The Tosh seems fairly new so it will have the
latter. I believe that should be compatible with an old card but am not
sure.

rusty

Old July 17th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"Rusty" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Rusty. I found this link which states that my card is 16bit.

http://www-win.uniinc.msk.ru/dist/netgear/ds_fa410.htm

Given that the card is Toshiba and so is my laptop, I thought it would work,
but clearly not.

However, why does it work in my IBM T21 laptop which has 32 bit PCMCIA
support?

Rohit

Old July 17th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Marcus Houlden

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:59:59 +0100,
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Given that the card is Toshiba and so is my laptop, I thought it would work,
but clearly not.

It might be worth trying the Netgear website. Specifically
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FA410TX.asp. Downloading and installing
new drivers tends to fix a lot of problems, and there are troubleshooting
guides there as well.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

This space to let.
Old July 17th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"Marcus Houlden" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:59:59 +0100,

wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Given that the card is Toshiba and so is my laptop, I thought it would
work,
but clearly not.

It might be worth trying the Netgear website. Specifically
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FA410TX.asp. Downloading and
installing
new drivers tends to fix a lot of problems, and there are troubleshooting
guides there as well.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

This space to let.

Following the link you supplied, I noticed that there is a compatibility
list there. It states that there are no drivers for XP and it is not
compatible with XP. Oh well, will have to purchase a new adapter.

THANKS TO EVERYONE for you input.

Rohit