Any FTP & Router Setup Gurus Here?

Old July 16th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Default Any FTP & Router Setup Gurus Here?

"Pete" wrote in message
BBand.
Using: XP_SP1
Router: WGT624 (Netgear.)

I'm trying to setup an occasional FTP. I'm using TYP_FTP as it's
simple and all I need.

However I am going bald over this

I have given the machine a static IP in network preferences:

IN TCP\IP (net connections)
--------------------------------
IP: 192.168.1.100 (PC)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (ROUTER)
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.2 (ROUTER)
-------------------------------

.. and in the router I have setup port forwarding:

FTP_01 - 12345 - 12345 - 192.168.1.100 TCP\UDP

Why port 12345? Also, you only need to forward TCP but forwarding UDP as
well won't stop it working.

The FTP program itself has very few configuration needs.

I assume the IP for passive mode means my WAN IP
address? (I haven't even started to think about opening
ports for that yet..)

Yes.

I can do localhost to 192.168.1.100:12345 but can not attach to the
FTP if I try looping back to my WAN_IP:12345

It's not usually possible to connect to a "port forwarded" server from
inside the network using the WAN IP address.

GRC.com tells me the port is still stealthed.. which if the setup were
working it should not be.

Am I missing something? Are there extra things I need to do in the
router to get this to work?

Something is apparently dropping the incoming connection requests. This
could be the ISP, the router (blocked by firewall or port forwarding isn't
working for some reason) or the server machine itself.

Alex