Measuring the traffc on my WAN?

Old July 17th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mick

Default Measuring the traffc on my WAN?

I have a DG834G and desperately need to know how much bandwidth my
connection is using per calendar month. I have installed netlimiter, as I
read somewhere that this program allows to monitor the WAN without also
recording LAN activity... Is that correct?

Anyone know how I set it up to monitor just the WAN activity, as I use
remote desktop and Remote Admin on the LAN, I don't want this activity to be
added to the WAN total. I really would appreciate any advice. Is there
anything I have to adjust in the DG834G to get this working?

Thanks
Mick

Old July 17th 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Mick" wrote in message
I have a DG834G and desperately need to know how much bandwidth my
connection is using per calendar month. I have installed netlimiter, as
I read somewhere that this program allows to monitor the WAN without also
recording LAN activity... Is that correct?

I don't know, but it is certainly possible for any software which sees all
traffic to do this by looking at the source (of incoming packets) or
destination (of outgoing packets) to determine if they are "local".

As far as I can tell the Netgear DG834G supports SNMP, at least with recent
firmware, which should allow you to monitor the WAN interface of the router.
This is certainly the best approach (greatest accuracy, only need one PC to
monitor), but may be more tricky to set up.

Alex