Help! PCs can access Internet but not each other!

Old July 18th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick Burton

Default Help! PCs can access Internet but not each other!

My setup:

1x Belkin Wireless Modem/Router, hardwired to Broadband phone socket only.
3x desktop PCs each with external USB wireless Network adapters.
2x laptop PCs each with internal wireless network connections.
(All computers are running either XP Home or XP Pro)

The situation:

All computers can 'see' the Belkin Modem/Router and access The Internet
wirelessly via Broadband with no problem whatsoever. HOWEVER, they cannot
'see' each other's network adapters so that a file-sharing network can be
established.

My dearest wish:

To have a wireless home network that allows me to share files, printers AND
access the Internet without having to hardwire anything to anything (it was
suggested I run a cable from the Modem/Router to one of the PCs).

My question:

Is this possible? I have tried all sorts of procedures to try and connect
the various PCs (all of which are on the MSHOME network) but each time only
the Belkin/Router is picked up and none of the network cards.

Am I asking too much of my system or doing something mindbogglingly stupid?
If any of you experts out there could offer some advice I would be eternally
grateful.

Many thanks.

Rick

Old July 18th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Rick Burton wrote:
My setup:

1x Belkin Wireless Modem/Router, hardwired to Broadband phone socket only.
3x desktop PCs each with external USB wireless Network adapters.
2x laptop PCs each with internal wireless network connections.
(All computers are running either XP Home or XP Pro)

The situation:

All computers can 'see' the Belkin Modem/Router and access The Internet
wirelessly via Broadband with no problem whatsoever. HOWEVER, they cannot
'see' each other's network adapters so that a file-sharing network can be
established.

This is the point of the router; all your network traffic will go via
the router. If you wanted to connect one PC to another then you'd need
to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between two individual PCs, but
there's no need. So, you /should/ already have a file sharing network
avialable, though you may need to check that things like simple file
sharing are enabled on the Pro machines, and that you actually have
shared some folders.

My dearest wish:

To have a wireless home network that allows me to share files, printers AND
access the Internet without having to hardwire anything to anything (it was
suggested I run a cable from the Modem/Router to one of the PCs).

My question:

Is this possible? I have tried all sorts of procedures to try and connect
the various PCs (all of which are on the MSHOME network) but each time only
the Belkin/Router is picked up and none of the network cards.

Am I asking too much of my system or doing something mindbogglingly stupid?
If any of you experts out there could offer some advice I would be eternally
grateful.

I'll assume that you're not seeing anything when attempting to browse
your MSHOME network via Windows explorer. I can't say for the belkin,
but my Netgear router assigns an IP address to each PC that connects
using DHCP. Open a command prompt from each PC and "ping name of
machine" to find it's IP (or your router admin screens may list the IP
it's assigned to each connecting PC), and from there you can also try
"ping other machine name" to see if you get a response. If that
fails, then after finding the IP of each machine try "ping other
machine IP", if you can see things then it's a start. I can't "see" my
laptop on my home network whilst browsing via Windows Explorer, but once
I know the IP I just map a network drive (Explorer Tools Map Network
Drive) to \\IP of desktop machine\name of shared folder. This is a pain
in the arse, but it works for my needs!

--
[ste]
Old July 18th 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick Burton

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Rick Burton wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. I'll check out everything
you mention and hope it solves my problem.

Rick.

Old July 18th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Rick Burton wrote:

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. I'll check out everything
you mention and hope it solves my problem.

Forgot to mention one thing - it's entirely possible that if each
machine is running a firewall then they're just all blocking each other,
so watch out for that.

--
[ste]
Old July 18th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Rick Burton wrote:

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. I'll check out
everything you mention and hope it solves my problem.

Forgot to mention one thing - it's entirely possible that if each machine
is running a firewall then they're just all blocking each other, so watch
out for that.

Yes, especially anything like norton will cause problems, the older windows
firewall can cause all kinds of problems......

Gaz

--
[ste]

Old July 19th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Rick
Burton says...
[...]

Allow File and Printer Sharing in the firewall.

--
Conor

Old August 4th 05, 02:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick Burton

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Rick Burton wrote:

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. I'll check out
everything you mention and hope it solves my problem.

Forgot to mention one thing - it's entirely possible that if each machine
is running a firewall then they're just all blocking each other, so watch
out for that.

--
[ste]

I'm running Windows Firewall on all PCs - I think. Could this cause a
problem? And what's the alternative, run without firewalls? Isn't that a bit
dangerous these days?

Rick