ADSL Router?

Old July 18th 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr. Compynei

Default ADSL Router?

Hi Guys,

I'm after a decent ADSL router, with 802.11g wireless and at least 4
ethernet ports. Something good, pref a brandname, linksys or belkin as its
not for me and it has to last.

Budget is around 60.
Cheers guys.

Old July 18th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:15:08 +0100, "Dr. Compynei" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm after a decent ADSL router, with 802.11g wireless and at least 4
ethernet ports. Something good, pref a brandname, linksys or belkin as its
not for me and it has to last.

What about a Linksys or Belkin then :-)))

Budget is around 60.

The Linksys WAP54G Wireless 54Mbps Access Point- 802.11g from
www.rlsupplies.co.uk is 44

My daughter has this unit and I can recommend it as a good product
with many configuration options.

Geoff Lane

Old July 18th 05, 08:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:15:08 +0100, "Dr. Compynei" wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm after a decent ADSL router, with 802.11g wireless and at least 4
ethernet ports. Something good, pref a brandname, linksys or belkin as its
not for me and it has to last.

What about a Linksys or Belkin then :-)))

Budget is around 60.

The Linksys WAP54G Wireless 54Mbps Access Point- 802.11g from
www.rlsupplies.co.uk is 44

I think you want a WAG54G (WAG, not WAP) - the WAG is the ADSL
modem/router/access point, whereas the WAP54G is just an access point.

Alternatively you could go a Netgear DG834G - I've got one and can
definitely recommend it: it's easy to set up and from my experience is
highly reliable.

www.braodbandbuyer.co.uk lists both the WAG54G and the DG834G as costing
70.

Whatever router you go far, make sure that it supports WPA as well as WEP
encryption of the wireless signal - WPA is more secure.

Old July 19th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul D.Smith

If you're desperate to save money, you might consider looking at the various
on-line vendors that do "returns/end-of-lines". I got my DG384G like that -
there wasn't a mark on it, it worked fine and saved me a few quid.

Paul DS.

Old July 22nd 05, 09:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:15:01 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

The Linksys WAP54G Wireless 54Mbps Access Point- 802.11g from
www.rlsupplies.co.uk is 44

I think you want a WAG54G (WAG, not WAP) - the WAG is the ADSL
modem/router/access point, whereas the WAP54G is just an access point.

quite right, my mistake.

65.74 inc. VAT from www.rlsupplies.co.uk

Geoff Lane