Gigabit V Fast Ethernet

Old July 18th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steven Campbell

Default Gigabit V Fast Ethernet

About 12months ago I cabled up my house with Cat 5e running to all the rooms
and terminating in a cupboard to a Router.
I now notice most Motherboards are coming as standard with Gigabit LAN and
Gigabit switches are coming down in price all the time.

Is it worth while converting the cabling to Cat6? Would I notice a
considerable speed difference if all PC's had Gigabit LAN?

I've read a few sites comparing Cat5e to Cat6 but they only compare with
theoretical data. Has anyone experienced the difference?

Cheers

Steven.

Old July 18th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 18 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Steven Campbell"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Is it worth while converting the cabling to Cat6? Would I notice a
considerable speed difference if all PC's had Gigabit LAN?

I've read a few sites comparing Cat5e to Cat6 but they only compare with
theoretical data. Has anyone experienced the difference?

I was under the impression that Cat5e was sufficient for gigabit - it's what I
use. Real world performance will be nearer 300Mb/s than 1000Mb/s in any case.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old July 18th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:46:40 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

About 12months ago I cabled up my house with Cat 5e running to all the
rooms and terminating in a cupboard to a Router. I now notice most
Motherboards are coming as standard with Gigabit LAN and Gigabit switches
are coming down in price all the time.

Is it worth while converting the cabling to Cat6? Would I notice a
considerable speed difference if all PC's had Gigabit LAN?

I've read a few sites comparing Cat5e to Cat6 but they only compare with
theoretical data. Has anyone experienced the difference?

Gigabit runs fine over cat5e. I've seen 112Mbyte/s over it in a contrived
test.

Regards, Ian