Home network - boroadband, wired and wirless with printer!

Old July 18th 05, 11:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Lawrie

Default Home network - boroadband, wired and wirless with printer!

Hi everyone (first time poster)

I really want to install a home network in my house! Unfortunately my walls
are very thick and require me to install a wired network! Although i have
only 3 computers(other family members laptopts included) i would like to
hardwire at least 6 different wallmounted connections! The actual wiring of
the network is not a problem but I am stuck on finding the cheapest and best
kit!

I would like an adsl switch/router with about 12 ports But i would aslo like
wirelss ports too - just 2 or 3! My house has 2mbps boradband and is going
to go to 4 at some point in the future so i think it can handle 3 computers
at once (max)! What kit should i buy to wire about 12 ports and have
wireless too??? Will probably need a firewall built in to!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old July 18th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

"Martyn Lawrie" wrote in message
Hi everyone (first time poster)

I really want to install a home network in my house! Unfortunately my
walls are very thick and require me to install a wired network!
Although i have only 3 computers(other family members laptopts
included) i would like to hardwire at least 6 different wallmounted
connections! The actual wiring of the network is not a problem but I
am stuck on finding the cheapest and best kit!

I would like an adsl switch/router with about 12 ports But i would
aslo like wirelss ports too - just 2 or 3! My house has 2mbps
boradband and is going to go to 4 at some point in the future so i
think it can handle 3 computers at once (max)! What kit should i buy
to wire about 12 ports and have wireless too??? Will probably need a
firewall built in to!!!

Thanks in advance!

What I would suggest is buying any decent ADSL wireless router. This
will take care of as many wireless connections as you would
realistically use, as well as some (usually 1 or 4) wired connections. I
see no reason why you couldn't simply add a switch or a hub to one (or
more) of the ethernet ports. In practice, I've used a Netgear DG834G
used with a 4 port hub (via the uplink port), giving a total of 7 wired
connections. If there are any 12 port ADSL wireless routers available, I
bet they are much more expensive than a 4 port router with a hub or
switch.

George

Old July 19th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Lawrie

Will this not affect the speed at which all the computers can speak if
essentially 4 ports are going through one uplink port???

THanks for the reply!

Martyn

Old July 19th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
McSpreader

"Martyn Lawrie" wrote in
:

Will this not affect the speed at which all the computers can
speak if essentially 4 ports are going through one uplink
port???

The uplink will operate at 100Mbps, your broadband is 2Mbps. No
problem.

Before you go off down the cabling + wireless route:

Get yourself a wireless modem/router per George's suggestion
and install it centrally in the building and as high up as
convenient.

Get a laptop PC with WiFi capability and set it up to use the
broadband connection.

Go walkies around the premises with the laptop and check for
wireless connectivity in the rooms you require Internet access. If
you get poor results, try a different location for the router.

You may find your cabling requirements are less than you'd assumed.

Old July 19th 05, 01:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

"Martyn Lawrie" wrote in message
Will this not affect the speed at which all the computers can speak if
essentially 4 ports are going through one uplink port???

Imagine using a switch, rather than a hub. And just for talking sake,
lets say you using 100Mb/s Full Duplex throughout. The switch allows
communication between one of it's ports and the router at 100Mb/s. If
you are using the top DSL speeds available in the UK just now, you have
8Mb/s downstream. I really can't see there being a major issue with the
switch causing a bottle-neck. Using a hub may cause minor problems, as
they are only half duplex, but with the difference between DSL speed and
LAN speed, you shouldn't notice it. Before doing this, I'd have a look
at what McSpreader suggests. Another point worth noting is that there
are some high gain WiFi antennas available - these may be of help to
you.

George

Old July 19th 05, 06:47 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
poster

On 18 Jul 2005 21:34 (UTC), "Martyn Lawrie" wrote:

require me to install a wired network!

Good news... it will mean life is so much easier, with fast connections and
less fiddling about :-)

I am stuck on finding the cheapest and best kit!

faceplates and solid core cable aren't very expensive... 300m of cable would
probably be found at 25-30 pounds (I have about 250m left :-)

I would like an adsl switch/router with about 12 ports

Then you will probably still be looking in 2007. The majority of ADSL modem/
router units have 1 or 4 ports, though I think there might be one or two that
have 5 ports. Adding a switch (of 8 or 12 ports) will probably be the best.

so i think it can handle 3 computers at once (max)!

You're kidding... Think of all the offices where a dozen or more staff PCs
may share a 500 kbps connection... Obviously they're not all trying to view
streaming movies, but the (view a page, read the text, click a link)... use.

Anyway, back to the point... Do you need wireless from wherever the ADSL
modem is currently placed, or in some other part of the house ? Peter M.

Old July 20th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Lawrie

Thanks very much for all the replies!

The house i am in at the minute is actually quite big and i have a central
cupboard downstatirs that i hope to keeop all the network equipment in! Then
add boosters throughout the house (probably 2 - 1 each way!)

Am i right in thinking i can have a hub with a built in dsl modem (say an 8
port one) and then i can add (via uplink) only one extra switch for wirelees
say 4 ports??

If this is the case i will buy the wirelss first to test it!

Thanks again!

. net...

Old July 20th 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martyn Lawrie

Sorry could i for instance lik these two together:

and

Thanks,

Martyn

"Martyn Lawrie" wrote in message
Thanks very much for all the replies!

The house i am in at the minute is actually quite big and i have a central
cupboard downstatirs that i hope to keeop all the network equipment in!
Then add boosters throughout the house (probably 2 - 1 each way!)

Am i right in thinking i can have a hub with a built in dsl modem (say an
8 port one) and then i can add (via uplink) only one extra switch for
wirelees say 4 ports??

If this is the case i will buy the wirelss first to test it!

Thanks again!

. net...

Old July 20th 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:32:41 +0000 (UTC), "Martyn Lawrie"
wrote:

Am i right in thinking i can have a hub with a built in dsl modem (say an 8
port one) and then i can add (via uplink) only one extra switch for wirelees
say 4 ports??

I haven't seen anything more than 4 ports on a combined ADSL modem
router, but I used to have a one port ethernet modem/router plugged
into an 8 way switch with two access points wired to that.

For cabling simplicity in a big house it may be appropriate to have a
switch or hub upstairs / remote with a single uplink cable then
distribute off that.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 20th 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George

Thanks very much for all the replies!

The house i am in at the minute is actually quite big and i have a
central cupboard downstatirs that i hope to keeop all the network
equipment in! Then add boosters throughout the house (probably 2 - 1
each way!)

You shouldn't need too much space for the equipment - A wireless router
about the size of a VHS cassette and a switch about the size of a mobile
phone. Also, how long are the cables you plan on running? I've seen
massive runs of Cat5 cable (corporate LAN) without boosters!

Am i right in thinking i can have a hub with a built in dsl modem (say
an 8 port one) and then i can add (via uplink) only one extra switch
for wirelees say 4 ports??

It doesn't even have to be that complicated! Buy something like a
Netgear DG834G or Speedtouch 580 (or anything similar!) Take the
Netgear - on it's own, it acts as a DSL modem, a router, a 4 port
switch, a wireless access point and a firewall - everything you need
minus a few ethernet ports! You can connect any port (not just an
uplink) to one or more of the four ports using either straight or
cross-wired cable! The ports have a technology called 'Auto-uplink' that
allows for this. So to clarify - all you need is a box like this, plus a
suitable hub or switch to expand the number of ethernet ports you have!
The cost? Should be less than 100 all in!