Home Networking (Networking Newbie) - Wireless & Wired can they work together ?

Old July 20th 05, 03:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GeoffP

Default Home Networking (Networking Newbie) - Wireless & Wired can they work together ?

Just got Netgear MR814V2 4 Port Wireless Router (811b), which requires a
ethernet ADSL connector. I already have a USB ADSL Modem, which has been
working Ok on an Ad Hoc network (2 computers) for a couple of months.

I wanted to be able to have two more computers on the network (laptop &
another desktop) and tried to integrate the router without much success.
With three of the four computers connected (fourth isn't ready yet) the
network is working, but cannot get an internet connection (the IP of the
router appears to clash with the IP of the computer connected to the ADSL
modem).

There's probably a simple answer but can't see the wood for the trees at the
moment, can anyone help or point me to a helpful website. Getting a combined
ADSL Modem/Router is not, unfortunately, an option at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Geoff

Old July 20th 05, 07:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
Just got Netgear MR814V2 4 Port Wireless Router (811b), which requires a
ethernet ADSL connector. I already have a USB ADSL Modem, which has been
working Ok on an Ad Hoc network (2 computers) for a couple of months.

I wanted to be able to have two more computers on the network (laptop &
another desktop) and tried to integrate the router without much success.
With three of the four computers connected (fourth isn't ready yet) the
network is working, but cannot get an internet connection (the IP of the
router appears to clash with the IP of the computer connected to the ADSL
modem).

There's probably a simple answer but can't see the wood for the trees at the
moment, can anyone help or point me to a helpful website. Getting a combined
ADSL Modem/Router is not, unfortunately, an option at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, but I don't think your current equipment is going to
allow you to do what you want. (Experts please correct me if I'm wrong!)

If you have just a router (I.e. no modem built-in) then you would need
your standalone modem to connect to the routers WAN port (or internet,
"untrusted" etc, varied by device) by network cable.

A USB modem is designed to be used for 1 PC.

You might be able to get something working using internet connection
sharing but I know less about that than I do about networking.
--
Regards
Jon
Old July 20th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:23:07 +0100, "GeoffP"
[email protected] wrote:

I wanted to be able to have two more computers on the network (laptop &
another desktop) and tried to integrate the router without much success.
With three of the four computers connected (fourth isn't ready yet) the
network is working, but cannot get an internet connection (the IP of the
router appears to clash with the IP of the computer connected to the ADSL
modem).

If you bought that router I would return it and get an access point,
which is what you really need.

These "broadband routers" are a PITA in a country that doesn't use
PPPoE and ethernet modems as standard.

Microsofts ICS wizard assigns 192.168.0.1 to the wired interface it
shares over. This can be manually changed to any IP or range you wish
for example mine used to be 10.0.0.161 - so option 1 is to simply set
the PC to a non-conflicting IP address.

Option 2 is to similarly set the wireless router to a 192.168.0.x
address other than .1

while you're there turn off the DHCP server of the router so that the
PC is in control of allocated IP addresses and is the home gateway.
Unless you find that the router needs the wireless clients to be on a
different IP range or subnet to its "WAN" conection in which case I
refer you to my first answer.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 20th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"GeoffP" [email protected] says...
Just got Netgear MR814V2 4 Port Wireless Router (811b), which requires a
ethernet ADSL connector. I already have a USB ADSL Modem, which has been
working Ok on an Ad Hoc network (2 computers) for a couple of months.

I wanted to be able to have two more computers on the network (laptop &
another desktop) and tried to integrate the router without much success.
With three of the four computers connected (fourth isn't ready yet) the
network is working, but cannot get an internet connection (the IP of the
router appears to clash with the IP of the computer connected to the ADSL
modem).

There's probably a simple answer but can't see the wood for the trees at the
moment, can anyone help or point me to a helpful website. Getting a combined
ADSL Modem/Router is not, unfortunately, an option at the moment.

I think the simplest solution will be:
Run Windows Internet Connection Sharing on a NIC on the PC with the
modem, connection details allocated by DHCP on the PC.
Plug the router WAN connection into this.
Connect a second NIC in the modem PC to the LAN side of the router,
connection details allocated by DHCP on the router.
Make sure this is on a different network to the other NIC.
Make sure that the PC with the modem is using the modem rather than
the router for its default gateway.
I'm only guessing - I don't know how the router will handle this, but
it's worth a go.
But the simple answer is to either get an ethernet modem, or replace
the router with a wireless access point.