D-link DSL-G604T Port Forwarding

Old July 20th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
muzz

Default D-link DSL-G604T Port Forwarding

I have been trying to host an internet game of Call of Duty with this
router. I am with Wanadoo and using the modem they supplied everything
works, with the router it doesn't seem to send my IP.
I thought it might be the Port forwarding ( or with the new firmware
virtual server ? ) but when I make changes to this and click apply,
nothing happens.
I have gone through the steps on www.portfrward.com to set up a static
IP but still no joy.
Anyone else able/unable to host internet games through this router ?

Old July 20th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Piggott

Old July 20th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muzz

Adam Piggott wrote:

muzz wrote:
I have been trying to host an internet game of Call of
Duty with this router. I am with Wanadoo and using the
modem they supplied everything works, with the router it
doesn't seem to send my IP.
I thought it might be the Port forwarding ( or with the
new firmware virtual server ? ) but when I make changes
to this and click apply, nothing happens.
I have gone through the steps on www.portfrward.com to
set up a static IP but still no joy.
Anyone else able/unable to host internet games through
this router ?

Are you using Firefox to access the unit by any chance?

I just tried to set up a port forward on a G604T I've got
and the "Apply" button doesn't work. I fired up Internet
Explorer and it worked as expected.

Also, since the "Help" doesn't mention it, the poorly
named "Port map" field is to redirect traffic to a
different port, i.e. set port 80 in "Port start/end" and
port 8000 in "Port map", and any requests sent to port 80
will be sent to the Private IP on port 8000.

Thanks, that's half the battle. I have now managed to make the changes
leaving port map blank so giving 'any port' however I still cannot get my IP
to register as hosting COD.
I don't know if you have used Call Of Duty but you get a log of what it is
doing and the final part 'myIP.28960' isn't appearing at the end as it does
with the wanadoo modem.

--
Muzz
send mail to

Old July 20th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Piggott

Muzz wrote:
Adam Piggott wrote:

muzz wrote:

[...]

It might be worth checking other Usenet groups/web sites to see if the
port(s) you have forwarded are correct. Are you making sure that you've set
up TCP or UDP as appropriate?

Is there a software firewall (maybe Windows' own?) that could be causing
the problem?

If that doesn't help, my next suggestion would be to try a packet sniffer
like ethereal[1] and get a traffic dump using the modem and then with the
router and seeing if you can see any difference.

[1] http://www.ethereal.com
- --
Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing).
http://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/

Please replace dot invalid with dot uk to email me.
Apply personally for PGP public key.
Old July 20th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muzz

Adam Piggott wrote:

It might be worth checking other Usenet groups/web sites
to see if the port(s) you have forwarded are correct. Are
you making sure that you've set up TCP or UDP as
appropriate?

I have checked up and I reckon I have set the correct ones.

Is there a software firewall (maybe Windows' own?) that
could be causing the problem?

I have Disabled Norton even though it works OK on the modem through Norton..

If that doesn't help, my next suggestion would be to try
a packet sniffer like ethereal[1] and get a traffic dump
using the modem and then with the router and seeing if
you can see any difference.

I'll have a look and get back...

Muzz
send mail to

Old July 20th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muzz

Not much luck with that, ethereal could only see my 'ethernet' connection
not my USB modem.
When I captured for my router the only dodgy looking thing I saw was who is
192.168.1.100, tell 192.168.1.1
The first IP is the static one I set up in XP and the second is the router,
which you probably knew already :-)
--
Muzz
send mail to

Old July 21st 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Piggott

Old July 21st 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muzz

Adam Piggott wrote:
Drat.

I assume that you've set up the port forwards to allow
port 28960 TCP *and* UDP to your PC?

Yes I have the 'BOTH' option checked.

You didn't mention if you'd made sure that the PC isn't
running a firewall as well, this could be scuppering you.

Game connects OK on modem with Norton firewall on, despite this I have
disabled it when trying through the router.

It also might be worth posting in a dedicated gaming
newsgroup, as you could find others who had the same
problem there.

I'll have a look, thnaks for the help.

--
Muzz
send mail to

Old July 21st 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muzz

Just one more thing on the router firewall. I have disbaled DoS protection
and also Port Scan protection and this doesn't work.
The section I am not too sure about is service filtering I have all the
following still checked, block xxxxxx from external network where xxxxxx is
the follwing.
Ping, Telnet, FTP, DNS, IKE, RIP, DHCP
ICMP from LAN is not checked.
--