WTD Wireless Router/Access point with AOL compatibility

Old July 21st 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

Default WTD Wireless Router/Access point with AOL compatibility

I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

I have 1 desktop and 2 laptops. I want all the computers to have internet
access. How can I do that and what equipment will work with AOL broadband
service? All the computers need to have wireless access.

If anyone has such equipment for sale, please email me details.

Thanks in advance.

Rohit

Old July 21st 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:04:53 +0100, rohitamin wrote:

I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

If you setup the router with a AOL username and password the router logs
on and as long as its powered up, then its always on. Have just done this
for a friend. The AOL software still asks you to sign on, but it also
means you can use something like Firefox to browse web sites, you don't
have to use the AOL software.

HTH

Dave

Old July 21st 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:04:53 +0100, rohitamin wrote:

I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it
difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

If you setup the router with a AOL username and password the router logs
on and as long as its powered up, then its always on. Have just done this
for a friend. The AOL software still asks you to sign on, but it also
means you can use something like Firefox to browse web sites, you don't
have to use the AOL software.

HTH

Dave

PS I assume that I can use Internet Explorer instead?

Also, would the connection be shared with the other wireless computers?

Thanks
Rohit

Old July 21st 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Martin Underwood

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:04:53 +0100, rohitamin wrote:

I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it
difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

If you setup the router with a AOL username and password the router logs
on and as long as its powered up, then its always on. Have just done this
for a friend. The AOL software still asks you to sign on, but it also
means you can use something like Firefox to browse web sites, you don't
have to use the AOL software.

PS I assume that I can use Internet Explorer instead?

Also, would the connection be shared with the other wireless computers?

Yes to both these questions.

It's a good idea to create an additional AOL screen name specifically for
the router to connect to AOL. If you use a real user's screen name, that
user can still log on using AOL software on a PC that's on that network, but
cannot log on from elsewhere (eg at work or in a hotel) if the user's screen
name is already used for the router to log on to AOL.

Standard advice with a router is to change the MTU Size from the router's
default (often 1458) to the AOL-specific value of 1400. Sometimes you'll get
away without doing this, but for at least one customer I found that the
router failed to connect (I think it was CHAP autentication that failed)
unless MTU was lowered to 1400.

If you've no preference for router, go for the Netgear DG834G-UK because
that's the one that's bundled with an AOL subscription as sold in PC World,
so if you have any problems AOL can't claim that it's not a supported
combination if that's the combination that they are selling!

Old July 21st 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Simon G

Just to add to this, I set up a mate with a Belkin Wireless Modem / Router
and PCMCIA wireless network card (PC World 79.99 deal) in around 10 minutes
the other day using AOL.

Regards
Simon

Old July 22nd 05, 06:34 AM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Dave Stanton

If you've no preference for router, go for the Netgear DG834G-UK because
that's the one that's bundled with an AOL subscription as sold in PC World,
so if you have any problems AOL can't claim that it's not a supported
combination if that's the combination that they are selling!

Excellent advice. I used a Ebuyer cheap Safecom router for my friends
setup, but worked like a charm.

Dave

Old July 22nd 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

If you've no preference for router, go for the Netgear DG834G-UK because
that's the one that's bundled with an AOL subscription as sold in PC
World,
so if you have any problems AOL can't claim that it's not a supported
combination if that's the combination that they are selling!

Excellent advice. I used a Ebuyer cheap Safecom router for my friends
setup, but worked like a charm.

Dave

Thanks for all the good advice.

Is it possible to get more than one aol connection? If so, how do I do
that?
Its just that everyone is used to aol.

Rohit

Old July 22nd 05, 03:32 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Andrew Hodgson

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:04:53 +0100, wrote:

I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

I have 1 desktop and 2 laptops. I want all the computers to have internet
access. How can I do that and what equipment will work with AOL broadband
service? All the computers need to have wireless access.

If anyone has such equipment for sale, please email me details.

Thanks in advance.

The BT Voyager 2100 has a specific firmware for AOL users, which I
believe takes care of the MTU settings.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old July 22nd 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Dave Stanton

Thanks for all the good advice.

Is it possible to get more than one aol connection? If so, how do I do
that?
Its just that everyone is used to aol.

Rohit

I don't know the answer to that, might pay to google on router & AOL.

Dave

Old July 23rd 05, 11:53 PM posted to uk.adverts.computer,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Gaz

wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
I have AOL broadband. I have heard that AOL as usual has made it difficult
for wireless home networking because it is not always on service and
requires logging in.

I have 1 desktop and 2 laptops. I want all the computers to have internet
access. How can I do that and what equipment will work with AOL broadband
service? All the computers need to have wireless access.

If anyone has such equipment for sale, please email me details.

Thanks in advance.

Rohit

More or less any adsl router on sale today will either be aol compatible out
of the box, or by firmware download. However, if you encounter any
difficulties, even if they are nothing to do with your setup, if your router
is not one of the approved Netgear router models that AOL peddle, then you
wont get any support from them, full stop.

So your best bet is to get a netgear.............

Gaz