How to steal neighbor's signal?

Old July 21st 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
roger

Default How to steal neighbor's signal?

I have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
from someone's Linksys access point in my building.

I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
this what I need?

Thanks
Rog

Old July 21st 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
from someone's Linksys access point in my building.

I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
this what I need?

Thanks
Rog

That sounds illegal to me. Am I correct?

Rohit

Old July 21st 05, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"roger" wrote:

I have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
from someone's Linksys access point in my building.

I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
this what I need?

Why should we help you steal something someone else has paid for? Why don't you pay
your own way, instead of being a useless parasite?

--
Andy Sayers - Lincolnshire, UK
If you'd like to reply to me, then please
Old July 21st 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On 21 Jul 2005 07:43:36 -0700, "roger" wrote:

Is
this what I need?

no, you need a 30 day community service order and your arse kicking.

Phil

--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 21st 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
roger

I don't have $100 box for cable modem yet since I'm not working.
This would only be for a few months (I hope).

This is not a troll but a technical question. If you don't know how to
repeat a non WEP secure signal, don't post stupid crap plz.

Old July 21st 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

"roger" wrote:

I don't have $100 box for cable modem yet since I'm not working.
This would only be for a few months (I hope).

This is not a troll but a technical question. If you don't know how to
repeat a non WEP secure signal, don't post stupid crap plz.

Firstly why should we care whether you've the money or not?

Secondly as you're obviously a stupid yank (check the appalling spelling of
"neighbor") why are you posting in "UK.comp.* ?)

Thirdly, if you've not got the money - GO AND EARN IT - you are a total loser - I
even bet you voted for George W Bush. (W = ******)

Come back at this if you've got the courage you useless tosser

Old July 21st 05, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Sayers

Jon wrote:

declared for all the world to hear...
I have a wireless card in my laptop and picked up a pretty good signal
from someone's Linksys access point in my building.

I bought a Netgear cable/dsl wireless router (4 Ethernet ports also )
thinking I can set it up as a repeater (for the stolen signal) and be
able to hook in other (wired) PC's in my apartment. The problem is, the
antenna is only a transmitter (as far as I can tell) and the router
expects an Internet connection to come from the dsl/cable port. Did I
get the wrong box? I saw an Ethernet bridge on the Netgear site. Is
this what I need?

Receiving a signal is one thing, being able to use it is quite another.
If the network is protected (very likely) then you won't be able to use
it.

Ignore the arsehole, he's clearly extremely stupid.