DG632 - WPN824 - WPN511 Want to add NAS & Print server How?

Old July 21st 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default DG632 - WPN824 - WPN511 Want to add NAS & Print server How?

Hi

I have the following wireless setup:

Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem Router (to) Netgear WPN824 RangeMax Wireless
Router (to a pair) Netgear WPN511 RangeMax Wireless PC Cards.

I would like to add some Network Attached Storage and a print server.
How and where do I do this? Also is there anyway to connect to my other
laptop through the WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router?

Thanks for your help

Old July 21st 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 21/07/2005 wrote:

I have the following wireless setup:

Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem Router (to) Netgear WPN824 RangeMax Wireless
Router (to a pair) Netgear WPN511 RangeMax Wireless PC Cards.

I would like to add some Network Attached Storage and a print server.
How and where do I do this? Also is there anyway to connect to my
other laptop through the WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router?

I can tell you what I've done - with a lot of help from this group :-)

I have a Draytek modem/router/WAP in a downstairs room connected to my
(ADSL) 'phone line. The WAP is actually turned off.
There's a long network cable to a Linksys Router/WAP in an upstairs
(loft) room, this WAP is turned on and covers the whole bungalow.
My main PC is downstairs and plugged into the Draytek.
Mt laptop connects through a wireless connection.
I have a server in the loft room connected to the Linksys Router.

In addition I have an HP printer plugged into the Draytek USB printer
port, so it's available from any PC.

I also have a Buffalo TerraStation NAS plugged into a second (gigabit)
NIC on the server. I use a share on the server as 'My Documents' on all
the PC's and the TerraStation to back up the server.

With advice from Alex Fraser in this group I bridged the two NIC's on
the server so it also has access to the Internet and it sends me emails
advising the status of automated back ups.

If you look at the threads 'Help With Netwrok Speed' (easy to search
for because of the typo) and 'Communicating Across Network Ranges' you
can see all the gory details. It works well and I have the advantage of
a Gigabit connection to the TerraStation, the connections could be
simplified if I had just stuck the TerraStation on to the upstairs or
downstairs router.

The TerraStation also has 4 x USB ports for additional external drives
and/or a USB printer.

The easy answer in your case would be to get some NAS with a USB
printer port and plug it into one of your routers.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK