Network help please??

Old July 23rd 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

Default Network help please??

I have a limited knowledge of networking but want to link two home PC's
together to run MS Flight Simulator on split screens.

I have a P4 3.2 and P2 600mhz.

Can some tell me exactly what network cards I should buy, make and model
would help as there seems to be soooo many and a hub or switch that will
link them, also what cables I will need?

I like to use Dabs.com to order stuff so if you can find something on there
for me that would be great. If not, if you have a good online place to buy
then please give me details. I am in the UK.

BIG thanks to anyone who can help me.

Thanks

Graham

Old July 23rd 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 23/07/2005 Graham wrote:

I have a limited knowledge of networking but want to link two home
PC's together to run MS Flight Simulator on split screens.

I have a P4 3.2 and P2 600mhz.

Can some tell me exactly what network cards I should buy, make and
model would help as there seems to be soooo many and a hub or switch
that will link them, also what cables I will need?

I like to use Dabs.com to order stuff so if you can find something on
there for me that would be great. If not, if you have a good online
place to buy then please give me details. I am in the UK.

I was going to suggest 3COM but they're really expensive, I thought
NIC's were supposed to be cheap now!

The cheapest at Dabs is a D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 NWay PCI and I don't
think there's any advantage in paying more quite honestly.

If you only want to link 2 PC's then you don't need a hub/switch you
can connects the NIC's directly by a crossover cable, see:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/resul...twork+crossove
r+cable

You will still be able to use the crossover cable if you eventually buy
a switch (better than a hub for speed) as they auto sense the type of
cable fitted.

The choice of a switch may be influenced by the type of Internet
connection you have. If you have, or are planning to get, broadband
then we can suggest something that fits in with that. Let us know how
you connect to the Internet for more input on that.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Old July 23rd 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Jeff for the quick reply.

I have looked up the PCI card you suggest but the cable link gave me a long
list, from that
I have chosen 'Belkin Cat5 UTP Crossover Cable 1m' will this connect them
ok?

Many thanks again for your help!

Graham

Old July 23rd 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 23/07/2005 Graham wrote:

I have looked up the PCI card you suggest but the cable link gave me
a long list, from that I have chosen 'Belkin Cat5 UTP Crossover Cable
1m' will this connect them ok?

That will do it, the only difference is the length of the cables.
Length is not an issue so think to the future a bit and give yourself a
bit of leeway :-)

I spent two hours this morning running a new cable upstairs because the
old one was about a metre short, had to demolish half the study!

I haven't used Flight Sim the way you are proposing so I hope a network
will do what you want. I did connect to a friend to play Combat FS once
and he blew me to smithereens :-)

Old July 23rd 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

"Jeff Gaines" wrote

I haven't used Flight Sim the way you are proposing so I hope a network
will do what you want. I did connect to a friend to play Combat FS once
and he blew me to smithereens :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.17.5.7 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d9xananews.htm

Thanks Jeff, have just ordered it.

Flight Sim can be great with two PC's, you can have multiple views (if you
have the monitors!) and move panels around.

Thanks again

Graham

Old July 25th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr. Compynei

"Graham" wrote:
Thanks Jeff, have just ordered it.

Flight Sim can be great with two PC's, you can have multiple views (if you
have the monitors!) and move panels around.

Are you sure its networking that does this, and not having two monitors
connected to the PC with a dual output graphics card

Old July 26th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Are you sure its networking that does this, and not having two monitors
connected to the PC with a dual output graphics card

Or even just sticking in a PCI graphics card or two for the extra
screen(s) - Windows can handle this without any extra software or
hardware.

I do intend to run two monitors off my main PC, but I want more
than two screens and good frame rates too, so I need the extra PC.

Thanks

Graham