USRXX5422 USB problem

Old July 24th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
andmoreagain

Default USRXX5422 USB problem

I have a USR XX5422 USB 802.11g wi-fi dongle in my PC and a shared NTL
cable modem connection through a USR 802.11g wi-fi router (the two came
as a bundle). There is also another PC connected via CAt5 cable to the
router. both PCs can access each other's files fine and both can get on
the internet OK but the PC with the wireless connection occasionally
loses the internet connection. I can reconnect usually by turning the
radio signal off and then on again using the USR software but
occasionally I have to unplug the USB dongle. I think its a problem with
the wi-fi part of the set-up as the wired PC doesn't seem to have this
problem and when the connection drops, the dongle is still receiving a
signal (according to the monitoring software) which I assume means it is
not a problem with the USB port etc.

any ideas? Both PCs run emule regularly and i read that this can
sometimes overload the router with too many connections so i made
adjustments on both PCs but the problem still occurs. we also both run
bit torrent a lot (different clients) but i'm not sure if this is a problem.

thanks for your help

neil
Old July 24th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article ,
"andmoreagain" says...
[...]

Is there a "switch it off when it's not being used" option for the
dongle? I've read somewhere that this can cause problems.
Old July 25th 05, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
andmoreagain

Rob Morley wrote:

Is there a "switch it off when it's not being used" option for the
dongle? I've read somewhere that this can cause problems.

i've made sure this is disabled in the hardware properties but thanks
for the suggestion.

neil